Thread: airflow

airflow

Hello all,

First post to what looks like a great site. I'm in the confections business and have a need for multiple temp zones...i have a zillion questions..but im gonna read thru the site and get myself as educated as possible before dumping them all out here...but in the meantime..i'd like your opinion on a temperary solution to one of our issues..

we are currently using a reach-in refrigerator set on a warmer than norm temp to "set" our product..i'd like to load the unit with more shelving(if i load it entirely the shelves would be about 2in apart..then use aluminium sheet pans to load/unload the product...my question is...will the sheets pans restrict the airflow too much?

Looking forward to learning more about this stuff. Thanks in advance.

T

Re: airflow

Quote Originally Posted by tempered
    will the sheets pans restrict the airflow too much?
    First all welcome to the RE forums.

To partially answer your question I think you have a two part problem.

One issue might be the airflow, but I would be more concerned with the additional product heat load due to the increased quantity of trays you want to use.

The more product you put in the cool space adds to the heat that must be removed by the refrigeration system. If you add more product than the system can keep cool, or cool down, you may find yourself already defeated.

Add to this any possible increase in door openings for the load/unload cycle and you might never be able to temper your product.

Is this a high production rate process, or only a small batch at a single time?
    Last edited by US Iceman; 19-01-2007 at 12:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by US Iceman View Post
    First all welcome to the RE forums.

Is this a high production rate process, or only a small batch at a single time?
    Thanks for the response.

A single batch could potentially fill every shelf. Right now we break the batches down into sections..the set time is pretty quick..so we put a few molds in..let them set... take them out..put the next bunch in... not very efficient... if we were to add the shelves the plan would be to put the entire batch in at one time...set..then remove entire batch.

The alternative...and more ideal solution is what I am researching now...setting up a seperate temp zone in the workspace...we could put all the molds on racks and roll them in and out of the tempered zone. dry cool air is all thats needed...anywhere from 40-55fah

Right now the fridge is too cold..if the product is in too long it can sometimes get condensation...

Depending on how many batches you do a day it might be more efficient and cost-effective to use a cooling tunnel.

Less manpower, and perhaps better quality control.

The conveyor belt speed could be set to match your production rate so in effect, you take a batch process and turn into a production process with continuous operation.

Quote Originally Posted by US Iceman View Post
    Depending on how many batches you do a day it might be more efficient and cost-effective to use a cooling tunnel.

Less manpower, and perhaps better quality control.

The conveyor belt speed could be set to match your production rate so in effect, you take a batch process and turn into a production process with continuous operation.
    We have a cooling tunnel in use right now...however we dont use it for our molded items..we played around with sending the molds down the line..mixed results..but maybe something to reconsider...

so you think the increased shelving in the fridge is a bad idea?

Quote Originally Posted by tempered
    We have a cooling tunnel in use right now...however we dont use it for our molded items..we played around with sending the molds down the line..mixed results..but maybe something to reconsider...
    What were the mixed results? I could possibly see some concern over the movement of the molds (not level, jostling, or other problems) that may affect the product quality. But, I think those would be a surmountable handling problem, rather than a cooling problem.

I also think any handling problem would be easier to define and correct "on a repeatability basis" using machines, rather than us humans. For some reason we don't deal very well with repetition.

I'm afraid the shelve stacking in a small area would at best be a temporary measure that might offer mixed results.

Depending on the type of "cooler" you are using, the airflow may not be very good (meaning low air volume = less cooling ability) to start with. Adding further restrictions (shelves) could further impede the air flow and generate less than acceptable cooling over an entire mold.

I do know that if the product (to be cooled) storage density is increased, the minimum required cooling load will increase. Perhaps beyond the capability of the refrigeration system.

These are general thoughts based on my impression of what you are trying to accomplish and dependent on many things. Without more specific information I'm afraid that's about the best I can do right now.
    Last edited by US Iceman; 19-01-2007 at 12:36 AM. Reason: editing

What products are stored in the room? Pralines before demoulding them?
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Why not install some small additional fans just between the trays to help air circulation between the trays?
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

peter: yep. its pralines..

Iceman: the solution would be a short term solution...just until we can figure out a way to create a seperate temp zone near the molding stations in which we can then roll the carts into... just trying to come up with a modular idea..that is movable if needed..and upfront as well as operational costs are an issue.

I'll play around with some wire shelving from delfield(the fridge manufact), and let everyone know what the results are.

Thanks!
    Tim

Oh, if it's for a short term use, then go for it. At least then you will be able to find out how the whole thing works.

alright..im off to try it out.. will report back with progress.. thanks again!

oh.. ill throw one last thing out there..slightly different topic..hope no one minds if i hijack my own thread.
    ..i had a part time fridge guy put in a dig temp control on a reach in freezer so i could control the temp.. i want it down to -20f...again this is a short term solution...but if it works..it might be a longer term solution... the thing seems to hold fine..but it seems like its really cranking... am i gonna kill this thing? and what do you think it will do to my operating costs if i run it 24/7?

If all you are doing to the freezer is operating it at a slightly lower temperature, it would be normal to expect it to run for longer durations. In warm weather (or a warm ambient) surrounding the freezer may cause it to run 24/7.

Hard to say about operating costs, other than they will increase.

Best of luck with the R&D project.