2nd opinion please

i wana throw this out there and see what everyone thinks,

I attended a site six months ago to fit a compressor on behalf of a manufacture(Samsung) this site has three imported cooling only splits serving a computer room ,they have had problem after problem with gas leaks from day dot due to the very poor design off these imports they have no LP\HP and the poor Coopland scroll compressor starts with such a bang its fracturing the suction pipe ,so after changing all three internal pipe guts to solve this I changed to comp but removed the direr after doing an acid test on the oil and finding it clean so may way off thinking why do I need it in, the less to go wrong the better with theses, and ive suggested that manual reset LP switches be fitted.was I right to remove it? They think not but it over to you guys

paul

Paul

"KEEP IT COOL"

Re: 2nd opinion please

Close control units only must be used in computer rooms. Full stop. You should have suggested the customer to remove the complete system altogether, not just the filter driers.

Don't forget the drier is there to remove moisture from the system as well as any debris that may find it's way around the system. I would keep the drier in personally, especially if any brazing has been done (carbon deposits etc.)

Where are the leaks coming from mainly?

The manual LP's are a good idea to prevent overheats on the compressors. I'd be fitting HP switches as well, more important than the LP's IMO.

Splits aren't a good idea for comms rooms (as already mentioned) but if the client doesnt have the money necessary to install any new kit then there's not much you can do about it.

Yeah It’s a site iam stuck with iam afraid so can only advised the client what my personal opinion is as they getting are all the coat back from the manufacture due to the sheer number of compressors they have got though, touch wood my change the pipe work in the condenser has so far proved a good move but just wanted an other pair of eyes so to speak, the leak was always suction pipe but in a few places, near the service port,4 way and a few more. I will go down the fitting HP switch I think but trying to keep it simple as they isn’t many original parts left on it and yep you have guessed it because the client is getting it paid for he wants to keep it in!!
    Paul

"KEEP IT COOL"

Do you think it's the compressor jolt on start up causing all of the leaks or just crap manufacturing?

If it's the comp. I would consider an anaconda to absorb the start up shock or even a soft starter if the application permits.

Are the compressors failing due to seizure or motor failures? I presume the lack of LP switches has roasted the compressors after a leak.

Doesnt the compressor have an internal overheat stat fitted as standard?

A combined HP/LP switch will keep it nice and simple.

think its abit off both but mainly manufacturing as how cooplands are fitted on a range of systems with no probs,i wanted to fit anacondas but was advised by the manufacture not too.its always seizure but its so far so good after the pipe mods,so think the HP/LP is the way foward,yeah the comp has an internal overheat but think the maint man on site is always reseting the units if they have a prob when iam not there but of cause cant say or prove this
    Paul

"KEEP IT COOL"

Sounds like a familiar situation with people meddling and denying all knowledge!

Try and make it difficult for the maintenance man to reset the HP/LP when fitted otherwise he will keep resetting it and you will be back to square one with seized compressors.

Do you have oil sight glasses on the compressors?

If the compressors are seizing it might be wise to ensure the oil levels are correct at all times.

no oil sight glass but think the HP/LP switch will be well hidden if i get my way
    Paul

"KEEP IT COOL"

Nice one. That'll stump the ruddy maintenance man.