Thread: LG - No thanks!

possum Guest

Question LG - No thanks!

Hello all,

This is my very first posting on this site, and I just have to say a great big "thank-you" in regards to all the feedback re: LG Airconditioners .

Hubby went out today getting various quotes for Split-Sytem Air-conditioning systems, two of them were from...argggggggg...... LG .
    These being the LG S24AHP3 and the LG S30AHP2 Reverse Cycle Wall Split System models.

Needless to say as soon I as saw the two quotes from LG I told him no-way am I going to touch any airconditioner from LG, having read many postings on this site about what a load of garbage they are.

However, I still have the problem of what brand and model would be best for the room I want cooled. From what I understand I need a system with between 2 and a half to 3 HP or 7.4KW.

Any suggestions on what would best suit my requirements, or what I should avoid would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance from a hot, sweltering possum, slaving at her keyboard.....phew....i think im gonna pass out in this wetched heat ....please help!

Re: LG - No thanks!

Welcome to the Forum, Possum.

This is primarily a technical forum, but we’ll see what we can do.

The broader issues are that despite seeing the negative reports about LG, there must be some successful installations or they wouldn’t be in business. Perhaps it’s a symptom of their sales and support strategy in the UK (where most complaints on the forum seem to come from).

So, where do you go from here?

I would keep an open mind and see what makes trusted friends have in their houses.
    Consider the best supported brand in your area…. It may even be LG for all I know.
    The next most important consideration is the quality of sales and service. There’s no point buying the best deal available if the spares and service back-up leave you disappointed.

Finally, the choice is yours, but it’s more than price or looks or what you hear third hand.

If you buy cheap, you usually buy twice.

Hi Possum!

You can't go wrong sticking to the two premium brands of A/C.

Mitsubishi & Daikin.

We fit nothing but Mitsi stuff now, however we used to fit a lot of Fujitsu kit which although classed as mid range gear, we found it to be extreamly reliable and performs well.

def genreral or fuji or mitsi these are good or the dogs pongos panasonic inverter good on electric and at 4:1 eer the best..

G'day possum.

Sinewave pretty well sums it up, good advice.

LG is the same here too.The have all the great ideas but backup is poor.Not to mention they are wretched things to install, especially when pre piped in a new residence. When the pipework is ran behind the unit they are always difficult to get them to sit flush on the wall.

Good luck and let us know how you went.

That s my first message and just signed up.. hi to everyone
    I think that s about where you live and how much LG is organized in your country.. In Turkiye, although some models of Mitsubishi or other well known air conditioners have problem, there is no problem with LG, it s more important to have a good installation and good service after that...

Lg may be ok if installed correctly but as sinewave says Mitsi or daikin and you cant go wrong

I think we have to bear in mind the weather in Europe is more severe, ie: variations in temperature from very cold to hot.

Poorer systems fail as the design is more tuned to warmer climes where the weather patterns are more consistant.

The econony systems have bare minimum components and dont incorporate pressure controls which control the operation of the system at extreme fluctuations

Also poor quality brazing, pipe quality will crack, fail, leak when you have frozen temperatures....and units are started up, operated, etc
    Last edited by Abe; 20-01-2007 at 02:40 PM.

yes that s it.. and in extreme conditions, it can be more obvious which is better

Poor product, non existant back up particular from Shorts environmental.

LRAC is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
    Poor product, non existant back up particular from Shorts environmental.
    Also poor back up from Thermofrost cryo and Hushon these people want to ship out a box and not worry, the old fit and forget but its not like that with LG.

Technical assistance is diddly sqwat.

NEVER AGAIN LG really means Lucky Goldstar and they couldn't even make decent tele's.

Lrac

Quote Originally Posted by LRAC View Post

NEVER AGAIN LG really means Lucky Goldstar and they couldn't even make decent tele's.

Lrac
    Now don't start me on my LG LCD telly that was tossed in to the bin at 13 months old

Whats lucky about that??
    Karl

LRAC is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Thumbs down Re: LG - No thanks!

Hi Karl Hofmann

I should have known better we also got stung with a LG vacumm cleaner and fridge.
    I was a complete prat and fell for LG marketing and price.

Regards
    Lrac

The power of Marketing is the real culprit.

Multinationals use Marketing as a tool for market entry. This is when ill equipped products are launched rapidly into the market without " evolving"

Hence the expenditure of dollars catapulted the brand within a short space of time, using clever strategies, cheap prices, incentives, etc

Multinationals develop a branding, farm out production of virtually everything from cameras to washing machines, and paste their logo onto the product.

The brand is supposed to inbibe confidence in the product. But when you think on it, the brand is meaningless, all it is is an image, a perception which is enhanced by money.

The products are churned out by multiple factory units, who perfect the art of producing for anyone who buys in sufficient numbers to qualify for a brand name to be stuck on it.

Eastern companies have perfected the art of multi nation al operations......

Some do it better than others. In the end the consumers have spoken....

Only good thing they seem to make are CD-rw drives and DvD-rw drives.

Quote Originally Posted by The MG Pony View Post
    Only good thing they seem to make are CD-rw drives and DvD-rw drives.
    Probably made by someone else and had an LG badge stuck on, its the only explanation.

that goes for all computer technology though!

Those of us going to RAC07 can all moan to their faces direct and see what they are promising.

Ive got an LG dishwasher and washing machine and both have been very good with no trouble. Admittedly the washing machine is only 1 year old but the dishwasher has been going for 3 years now. I was going to end up with an all LG house but maybe I should stop at the two appliances!

I forgot to mention A/C. I agree with all that said look out for good service and backup that is not too far from your general area especially in Australia where distances between towns can be vast. Some companies like Panasonic are Sydney centric and only have one warehouse in Sydney. This works fine in small countries but gives you poor delivery if you live in a country where the nearest state capital to Sydney is over 1000 k/m away. This coupled with the fact you have to pay the freight to get the most minor part.

Few days ago I was talking to an install engineer about this and that, and happened to spot two LG boxes on his roof rack.

"How do you get on with them," I asked, expecting him to tell me that he has had a couple of PCB problems etc.

He grimaced and said, "Nine months it has taken me to get the correct chrome front panels. We ordered chrome but they delivered blue. Customer told not to worry we will replace the panels in the next week or so (after commissioning).

After about 3 months they received the new panels. Checked the label etc and off he went to site, opened up the boxes and......they were blue inside. They were unopened before he opened them, so dispatched from works like that. Marked 'chrome' on the box, but were blue inside. Wasted visit.

Lots more calls etc etc etc and this was the special day, nine months or so after commissioning when the correct panels were available, and he was going to fit them. (Needless to say, when collecting from the distributor, the very first thing he did was to open the two boxes, not to be caught 2x.)

He had a few other probs with electronics of other LG installs, plus one unit had a fractured tee, inside the condenser (at the crutch of the tee, so to speak).

He was not a happy bunny, but has learned eventually what most here have aready discovered. Skip the LGs for now. Possibly they will sort out their manufacture probs one day.....mind you, I'm not such a young'en. Maybe I will never see it.
    Last edited by Makeit go Right; 05-02-2007 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Electrocoolman View Post
    Those of us going to RAC07 can all moan to their faces direct and see what they are promising.
    If thats what everone is going to the LG stand for then there will probably be a longer queue than for the bar

Regards

Raymond