View Poll Results: What do you charge customers (per Hour)

Voters
398. You may not vote on this poll
  • Under £10 PH (Under $20ph)

13 3.27%
  • £10 - £15 PH ($20 - $30ph)

12 3.02%
  • £16 - £20 PH ($31 - $40ph)

20 5.03%
  • £21 - £25 PH ($41 - $50ph)

56 14.07%
  • £26 - £30 PH ($51 - $60ph)

69 17.34%
  • £31 - £35 PH ($61 - $70ph)

72 18.09%
  • Over £35 PH (Over $70ph)

156 39.20%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: How much do you Charge?

Your father sounds like a very interesting man. I hope he comes right in his business. He is lucky to have a son who wants to help him.

in ireland it varies again location etc... i would say average is 55 to 65€/hr

has any body actually got their accountant to tell them how much a man and a van costs.... i would say it's a lot more that people think insurance diesel etc ... and what ever we are charging it's not half enough!!!

i know its too late to reply to this thread, but i found this is very intresting. in india we charges as follows
    *call out charges for domestic refrigerator=75-100rs(in local city)
    *for airconditionar= 100-150rs.
    *after fault finding we have to inform custmor what will b the total exepence of repairing,then custmer for sure ll bargain for some discount, compair with other service technicians if possible and then they comes to final decision(sometime they took a day or two for makin decision.lol)
    *there is no per hour charges here.we hv to give estimate or quatation for the perticular fix.then custemer will inform us wat to do.
    *for domestic split ac gas charging we charges 1800-2400rs(its depends on custmer and bargaining) no matter how many hours it tooks.
    *and yeah here R22's price is 450rs/kg(its dealer price which we pays for 1 kg gas)
    *and 1 usd=50rs nowadays. so compair now

Wow Bluestar, that's really cheap! How do you manage to live on that money?

I had an electrician in to do a repair to an over door heater [burnt out neutral feeds ]
    the charge get this
    call out £85 FOR THE 1ST 1/2 HOUR THEN £85 PER 1/2 HOUR total cost was £445.10

I going to change trades

No wonder refrigeration in UK is getting more demand.

I used to charge mileage and travel time to site then so much per hour.

Now iv got an arrival fee including the first 30 mins on site then a ££ per hour.

I find it alot easier when it comes to the invoicing and makes life better.

Depends on the system to hand. Could be anywhere between 620 & 2000.

grams.
    Innovator, IP trader - Rarefied Technologies
    The impossible in real time - miracles may take slightly longer... :)

as much as i can get away with . only joking . what a stupid thread . shall we all give our customer lists away and our price structure next ,

You're not obliged to read nor answer this thread Paul.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_1 View Post
    You're not obliged to read nor answer this thread Paul.
    feel like i,m back at school being told off by the headteacher. thank you for pointing that out to me . chill out

I just priced myself out of my first job. A chest freezer in a mini mart. Charged £260 for a compressor change and he told me it's too much and he will just buy a new freezer. How are people charging? I would love to know.

how much was the compressor to buy

I got a reconditioned one for £100

I added 20%, plus he has to pay for the gas, a drier and my labour.

A reconditioned hermetic for a domestic
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by W.Miller View Post
    I just priced myself out of my first job. A chest freezer in a mini mart. Charged £260 for a compressor change and he told me it's too much and he will just buy a new freezer. How are people charging? I would love to know.
    Just because you didn't get the job doesn't mean you were too expensive, its just that in the customers eyes his money was better spent on a new freezer than one that has many hours on it.

If you only charge what a customer 'wants' to pay you will soon be out of business.

I'd have allowed four hours labour, for recovering the charge, ofn, drier, oxy acetylene/rods, new refrigerant, compressor.
    I would not have been cheaper than you, allowing for your 'reconditioned' comp, and much more in fact as i'd have specced a new one.

I have in the past just for my own amusement priced stuff stupid cheap still to be told i was too expensive
    Another time a customer phoned back within a few hours to say he had another quote for a compressor change that was much cheaper than mine, i seriously doubted it as i only managed to get a match to the L'unite comp which had a missing model plate by measuring its dimensions and noting its start electrics and getting the wholesaler to go through the tech manuals to find it. Told him to get the cheaper guy to do it and i was busy till the end of next week now anyway....

On piece of advice, bill people on site and get paid, there are people who will pay you then and there but a few days or weeks later when the bill arives in the post will just ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by monkey spanners View Post
    One piece of advice, bill people on site and get paid, there are people who will pay you then and there but a few days or weeks later when the bill arives in the post will just ignore it.
    Thats the best piece of advice I could give too!! Tell them before you start the job that you'll need paid then and there as the boss wants to cut back on admin fees and keep the prices down!!

I agree, if i am called out i want paying there and then unless they are regular customers who i have a good relationship with. 9 times out of 10 new customers will pay because they are happy to get the job done, without too much disruption to their business.

You mean a chest freezer that anyone can just buy, transport and plug in?
    Yeah, no money in that or anything portable. A lot of businesses that use commercial portable refrig will have connections to buy second hand as well. They look out for that type of stuff, ie always looking a cheap equipment.

I tell them to buy a new one over the phone rather than waste time going there to look at it if they are a blow in* customer shopping for cheapest quotes. Or don't do free quotes so at least you are paid for your trouble going there for such things (better for them to refuse call out and you not go, rather than to waste your time)

The only things worth repairing or looking at is fixed equipment, stuff they can't replace themselves.
    EG a split system a/c (even though they may end up preferring to replace, it would still cost $400+ to remove the old and fit the new if they did buy a new system which would cost them $500-2000). Or just look at expensive fridges and commercial application refrigeration and a/c where replacement cost is high.

For example, I mainly do a/c, every time I've looked at a WWRAC (box in the wall a/c), end result is it's way better to just buy a new one, and get themselves or a handyman to install it.
    I tell them so over the phone instead of wasting time on looking at it. That is only because I've been to a few, it's usually terminal and not economical to repair, and most people never paid me if they weren't there at the time for me to demand COD. So I just don't even look at them or cheap fridges or freezers anymore.

edit: * blow in: Random people that call me that I've never done any work for before. The ones that just call me on the hottest day of the year when I'm trying to work for my regular customers without being interrupted so much.
    Last edited by paul_h; 18-11-2010 at 04:04 PM.

Domestic Fridge, freezers compressors just are not worth the agro to change, By the time you factor into the labour, compressor, etc. the Customer will 9/10 say "i can buy a new one for that" its best to say that to them, when they phone up in the first place.
    We charge £40 call out and then £35 per hour, 1st 1/2 hour is included in the cost above.

we don`t charge for the call out. about 110 euro/h, and for evere stuff where we need min. factor 2.5...

Hi Tom_80.
    wow I am coming to work for you. 250% on materials and 110€ per hr.

I got a reconditioned one for £100

I added 20%, plus he has to pay for the gas, a drier and my labour.
    I would have been very upset if I was asked to pay that for a used compressor. I hate paying so much money to replace one part.

What do you charge for failing to be able to join copper tubing?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_h View Post
    What do you charge for failing to be able to join copper tubing?
    Paul

how is he failing to join copper tube ?
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Hi Paul
    missed that one cheers

R's chillerman
    If the World did not Suck, We would all fall off !

Hilarious

Your cheap in UK, thougt it was the other way around. Normally how much would you charge a private houseowner for a split heat pump installation with no complications? With or without the electrical installation.

i charge 250 to 300 for full install split system heatpump with wiring to a fused spur/ isolator. that includes hole drilling filling make good etc thats for saturday sundays etc so around 35 per hour ?

Seems to be a race to the bottom in some areas. Maybe it is the economy. I always have a package cost and if someone asked me what my hourly cost is, I wouldn't have a real answer for them.

Sorry for the lousy English, it takes you to Google.) The road is worth $ 1 for 1 km. The cost of the work is individual and depends on many factors ... Recently, eliminating leaks and changed to the condenser fan motor freezer capacity 750 liters in the tanker in the sea port, spent 2 hours, took up this work (removing old and installing the new motor, soldered pipes, vacuum, 270 g R404a, check the settings of the controller))) The total cost was $ 700. You will say this much, because the motor is only 20 bucks and spend a little freon ... but, dammit, I'm not very thick and still, I almost got stuck there at all when climbing between the condenser and the ship's bulkhead plus the terrible heat. In short, I almost died there)))
    For small repairs on the ship Carrier chiller with 160 kW (repair of leaks, vacuumization, filling 50 kg freon, check the operating parameters), I received $ 4,000 for 6 hours along with my material ... I do not know much or little? I like it.)))
    Always different prices ...

P.S. I pay taxes 3%)))

bonjour ,

mes tarifs
    heure de main d'oeuvre 50 euros
    déplacement proxi 39 euros
    déplacement 15 / 20 kms 48 euros

mais ces prix ne comptent paa pour un client restaurant ou patissier vite dépanné de sa chambre froide en panne avec des milliers d'euros à l'intérieur

hello,

my rates
    hours of labor 50 euros
    proximal displacement 39 euros
    moving 15/20 kms 48 euros

but these prices do not count for a client restaurant or pastry quickly repaired to his room cool down with thousands of euro inside

Hi, in Greece we charge 80-85 euros for a 9-14000 btu split air cond. including mounting brackets, pipes,cables till 3m, and a total service for these units this year was 20euros but add refriferant is extra if needed...of course there are plenty tecnisians? in the yellow pages that can install a unit with 60euros

hello tecnisian

oh !! 60 euros with all accessories for to install a split ?? it is clandestinity work ! no i cannot think that

: Eek:

i think that France is in 2 or 3 years in the same situation that grèce but at this price , i dont work

we charge 90 Australian dollars per tradesman . And 60 per apprentice . so we charge 150 an hour

I tend to do the cheaper end of refrigeraton ,i.e. small restaurants , takeaways, the type of work that many engineers don't want to do.. dirty smelly kitchens etc. Each job ha sto be assesed individually. Am often asked do l have a callout charge. Have to be carefull as some are put off if you give too high a figure . I say no callout charge, just pay for what l do. No problem with getting paid although have to go through the song and dance routine of how much. I have a simple answer , go a bit high then come down...to what you really wanted....customer happy , thinks he got good deal
    As for charging ..say integral drinks display cabinet.3/4 h.p hbp, comp on 134a. about £450/ £500. as l said depends on customer, and other variables.

Blindbeggar , Kent, UK.

We charge for a job most of the time so we quote a price.

Hi Rtic
    It is great news in our industry to hear of a company succeeding and growing in the current climate.
    Pricing is down to what the customer is willing to pay and appreciate that in business everyone has to make a living. Yes everyone wants the best price from us at the sharp end for products to the end user on reliability and service. a bad egg sitting in a canteen on his ipad has the same disastrous effect with a client if he is charged £20/h or £80/h.
    I love the smell of Ammonia in the morning!

Diagnosis, one-time departure - 300 usd if VRV or VRF any brands.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12