Blog Entries

Intermediate pressure?

or is it medium pressure? on piston compressors...

During my ten years of doing service on industrial size plants, I've never encountered plants with this "thing" on it, is it a thing of the past, is it obsolete or is it something rarely used, does it wear more on the compressor than if it was running without it? like the superfeed on screw compressors, it's all good and dandy, but the moment it starts acting up the wear on the compressor is more than the gain in efficency...

(side story)
    I was educated in a school where they teach you the basics of a small "copper plants", during the school year, we spent a week at a refrigeration company and I spent my week at a company servicing grocery stores and the likes... after spending a week getting my legs run over by senior citizens and other peoples shopping carts, well, you know... since they have "always" gone this route through the store, dont mind the guy trying to keep your groceries cold enough, lets just run him over...
    I descided this was not what I wanted to do, so I applied with the largest refrigeration company, at the time, and got the job...
    (side story)

Now my predicament is that "learning" was something you did "on the go" or "you learn by doing" there was no educational plan for us beginners.

and with the workload we had/still have, reading up on it is a no go... by reading up on it, you get the dry basic of "With a 2K overheat allbeit with no less of a 3K heating of the liquid at that stage, the refrigerant will be overheated, and thus the capacity will be X amount of W higher"

and to be honest, I didnt feel like spending my off time, what little I have of it, educating myself by reading tons of heavy litterature I'd have to buy myself, you know

But/And after getting on this board and seeing the wast amounts of knowledge is available and and how people are very ready to share their knowledge, I do myself as long as I feel I'm qualified to do so, other than that, I keep my mouth shut, as what I say here might lead someone unquallified to try something that will leave them with a compressor in bits and pieces

could pretty please someone give me the low down on intermediate pressure on piston compressors, one engineer to another?
    Last edited by Tycho; 22-12-2006 at 09:31 PM.

-Cheers-

Tycho

Re: Intermediate pressure?

On a compound recip. compressor the intermediate pressure is the pressure between the discharge of the low-stage cylinders and the suction of the high-stage cylinders.

PS. I did not like getting run over by shopping carts either.