View Poll Results: What Refrigeration or AC qualification do you hold?

Voters
360. You may not vote on this poll
  • None

88 24.44%
  • City & Guilds NVQ Level 2 or 207 and apprenticeship

99 27.50%
  • City & Guilds NVQ Level 3 or 2057 and apprenticeship

101 28.06%
  • HNC or HND in Refrigeration and AC

72 20.00%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: What qualifications have you got?

does anyone know if the care (flammable) refrigerant handling test has been updated, i did it in 2005 and it was a complete joke. a 3 hour theory course with a multi choice test at the end. you only had to get the red questions right which were common sense questions what should u not do when working with flammable refrigerants a) light a fag b) speak to your mate. the black questions were about boiling points etc and it didnt matter if you gt these wrong.

Hi all,
    I do not know the qualifications that you mention.
    I have the following:3 star navel diver, 3 year ERM SA navy, 5Year apprentice Refrigeration technician including ammonia, 4 year electrical engineering diploma including electronics, 4 year mechanical engineering diploma.Numerous courses in steam engines and boilers, internal combustion engines, aircraft engineering, fitting and turning, spray painting,I have spent 20 years analysing breakdowns on refrigeration compressors. I have been in the industry 42 years and spend lots of time on failure analysis. I don't have a safe handling of refrigerants card and that makes me an idiot i suppose!

hi guys i have 207 city and guilds refrigeration went on block release to grimsby also 236 part 1 an 2 electrical installation 2077 an 2078 refrigerant handleing an various other stuff pasma ipaf iosh and skill card stuff waiting for my current employer to send us on 2079 or close department

From an employers perspective, were the hell is it going to end.
    Staff on courses every month for this and that. Compliance costs are killing our industry.
    The same compliance ability thing should be applied to the Bankers/ wan*ers that created the current recession.
    Friggen governments bailed them out and put them back in business at the tax payers expense. A double wammy hit for the tax payer. Where is the justice. Or else I am thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
    From an employers perspective, were the hell is it going to end.
    Staff on courses every month for this and that. Compliance costs are killing our industry.
    The same compliance ability thing should be applied to the Bankers/ wan*ers that created the current recession.
    Friggen governments bailed them out and put them back in business at the tax payers expense. A double wammy hit for the tax payer. Where is the justice. Or else I am thick.

As I said elsewhere the bankers were subject to strict regulation, it was only the government(s) who eased the regulations and collectively looked the other way when excess and warnings were given.Despite the "How could anyone foresee" BS there were many warnings that at some point soon it will end and end in a very bad way.

'Liar loans' (self certifying mortgages) were allowed to flow out of control. The g.ment, banks and customers knew that they were bad but greed took hold. Get rich by buying a house. " No buy to let?" what a mug, it's free money!

Bernie Madeoff was a classic case. He was a crook but it was well known with the industry AND the regulators that he was working a ponzi scheme. However being swept away in the euphoria of the boom he was allowed to carry on unregulated . Money coming in, taxes collected -who cares!

Again a classic case of emperors new clothes.

In the UK we had an elected dictatorship which believed it's own publicity. Brown is the most culpable in all this. Total control on the way up he ruled with an iron fist. As soon as the **** hit the fan suddenly he wasn't responsible. How people can actually believe him it beyond me.. Still "you can fool some of the people" ...as they say.

It's naive to blame the bankers (which is akin to blaming the Jews as Hitler did in the 30's ) an easy voiceless scapegoat egged on to make as much money as they could. Once the wheels fell off they were castigated for doing the very thing they are employed to do, by the powerful who have full access to the media. They have no way of arguing their cause, their motives, or the mitigating circumstances. Lets demonize Fred the Shred. Divert the discourse..Jeeze how easy was that!

We are currently in a phony war, more and more borrowed money has staved off the recession long enough for Brown et al to get out Scott free. Once on the sidelines they will pontificate how they would have pulled the UK out pain free. Again many will fall for it...

Try watching the Channel 4 election show when it comes on

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/e...es-1/episode-1

Real scary stuff and that's if we manage to avoid a Greece situation as like dominoes lined up (Spain Portugal etc) we are possibly heading to fail and lose our AA rating. If that happens -all bets are off for the short/mid term future of this country

I have no qualifications except an Airframe & Powerplant license and an Mechanical engineering deg. I got thrown into doing heavy maintenance on Aircraft ***** systems (twin 200,000 BTU totally air driven systems.) and have maintained my own systems at home, yep one of those DIY guys The difference is I know what correct procedures are and when I recently had a home split system replaced I was disappointed in the lack of knowledge and skill that was exhibited. I was a real PIA through the entire process

Hi

I'm also in my forties and have been in the industry 25 years and have an HNC

I run a company and send all of my engineers to college where they obtain NVQ3 and Tech 3 they are also all qualified for F-gas. I do feel years ago it was easier to know what level engineers were at either with mechanics, advanced mechanics, ONC or HNC and I also agree NVQ is more about getting engineers to have a pass mark than teaching them something usefull in the industry.

Timbo

Having the qualifications still dont get you the standard wage anyhow. Most employers use your experience level as a judgement more than what papers you have.

W. Millar.
    papers do not give you a free license to be set loose. Experience and more experience governs the pay rate.
    Too many times I have had young guys with all the papers and quals, but had a real work ethic problem in that the brain was not connected to there hands, ie no practical skills.

I understand fully, but even when you the skills the employer still looks for excuses to keep the wage bill down. Its disgusting.

Good day one and all.
    Just an update from my previous, I used to be Reefer Madness but not allowed in one day so re-registered.
    Came back from Iraq and took a couple of months off. Got bored so went out and found a job with a promise of being put into a NVQ as the company had their own training center. After waiting 2 years waiting, and asking when, company decided they didn,t like me and trumped up some Bull***t to get rid of me. Gone one day found another within 24 hours, being paid twice for a month, not being allowed to work the notice, their choice.
    Got layed off first day back from christmas/new year. Thought I,d work for myself. Went and did H&S test again for skill card then C&G 2079, 3 day course, average on theory, "one of the best practical tests" from the instuctor.
    Still working for myself, possibly going back to the Middle East, find out soon. Why do I need NVQ?

I have got the 2078 safe handling and the CITB pipework and brazing for fridge work. I also have City and Guilds A,B & C for electrical, emergency alarm systems, electronics serving, 16th edition, welding and fabrication, Btec PLC programming, and UKAS natural gas for laundry and catering/food service appliances, all which I wipe my arse with. And nearly 30 years of electromechanical experience to **** with, and I'm still learning.

I still get constipated, and I sometimes run out of bogroll when I've had a ****. But don't we all in this day and age of government backed third party industries such as CORGI, NICEIC, ACRIB, ISO 9000, and any other set of chancers that want a slice of your "£10000000.00" a year wages. If only eh, lads and lasses.

Question Re: What qualifications have you got?

Surprising results.

I went to college for 5 years to gain my qualifications and hold up to date FGAS certificates. However some of the best guys I ever worked with who taught me everything I know weren't qualified (with the exception of the old CFC/HCFC safe handling certificates). In this day and age though it isn't acceptable for young people to be taught these skills without gaining the appropriate documentation and certification or does anyone dissagree?

In this day and age of third party industries and getting a permit before you can fart, I would say get them if you can. When you go for a job they will only say they can't pay you a full rate without them no matter how good you are at your job, and how good the person you worked with.

The firm I worked for in the early eighties were a multi skilled outfit, in the days when it was frowned upon. That contstructed computer suites for the old computer mainframe systems and installed airconditioning, along with fire alarms, lighting and power, halon gas systems, modular floors, suspended ceilings, demountable partitions, power distribution control panels, generators/early crude versions of UPS, to name a few.

But you ended up with no qualifications whatsoever. I had about 9 months on the job as a helper and then given a van to to service and remedial works, and now and again pulled onto a bigger job that needed a push. But I was always treat and paid as a helper. I worked there for about three and half years, then left to try something else. I ended up at LEC refrigeration in the special products department.

The experience I gained was invaluable, but when I went for a job at other electrical/mechanical firms they said they couldn't pay me the full rate as I wasn't qaulified at that time. The strange thing was neither was anyone else except for the sparkies. Although some of the qualified guys were asking me how to wire controls and dismantle ceilings, floors, and walls.

I now have more qualifications than enough, in the past ten years I've worked for myself as a sparky for eight years and now have a job servicing catering/food service equipment, laundry equipment, and carryout refrigeration work for myself on a part time basis.

But I can tell you now, even with qualifications most firms will still try to get you over a barrel with your wages. Certificates and qualifications keep the third paty industries in work, and have an indirect legal backing from the government to create a demand for their services and continuing renewal of assessments. In the fridge and gas game you have to have qualifications and certificates by law. Unfortunately its no longer a case of being qualified or not, you have to be to do your job, whether your good at it or not.

hey guys,ive been working in wa austrailia for years.did my time in nz.running my own show for 7 years when 2 years ago i was told i had to obtain aust recognised trade certificate to be able to purchase refrigerant etc.5 year apprenticeship means nothing in australia unless you did your time here.you can work but not set up shop.if you claim to have experience /papers you do a practicle test,and i dont know anyone who has ever passed it.

Hello all very new to this site, I have been a Refrigeration and Air conditioning Engineer for 19 years now. I done my 3 year apprenticeship with General Refrigeration, they sent me on block release to do city and guilds 207 level 2, think i was the last one they took on as an apprentice, I don't believe a lot of companies take them on now.
    Paul.

Since I.am from the United States I do not understand you abbrivations for certifications.
    I am HVAC/R Instructor and would like to learn more about what certifications are required for your technicians to work in the field. In the USA we musf have a EPA608 which just says you can pass the test on global warrning. Some companies require NATE certification which is a designed for a guy with at least three years in the field.

Please tell or send me more information about your certifications
    thank you
    Dave

Hello.

I have every qualifigation of refrigeration what is here in Finland. In Finland we have under 3 kilos, over 3 kilos installations and over 3 kilos person in charge.

hope you understand what I'm meaning. Now I'm studying refrigeration engireening and then my occupation will be Master of refrigeration... That is finnish refrigeration engineer. Now I'm refrigeration mechanic and person in charge

Hello 3 weeks ago I pass exam for 1 level nvq 2 and f-gas 2079 now waiting for documents ... echh how long you wait for documents ?? (Certificate) ??? I make my f-gas in alpha bse London
    I have 5 years experience from Poland white split VRVs and chillers. Now looking for a job
    And as I see in London it's loot of daikin crap and less lg
    I love smell

Hi all,

I started in the game at 15, working weekends before I left school. Started full time as soon as I left. My boss sent me to electrical college on day release where I gained NVQ 3. By 18 I was in a van and out on install. First job re-fitting a co-op and installing two packs. (My old Govener believed in throwing us in at deep end). By 19 I was 'on call' and out in the middle of the night finding leaks in supermarkets and more often than not trying to find where the old Hubbard packs had kicked all their oil. Hours of pressing hot gas defrost buttons to get it back!

I picked up my 2078 and did various other courses, BRA brazing level 3, refrigeration electrics, various manufacturer courses. Obvoiusly gained the 2079 when that was brought in.

At 22 I handed in my notice and formed my own business. I am now in my 3rd year of trading and have aged 10 years but I am still learning every day.

Most recently I gained site supervisor and manager qualifications.

Moving forward I would like to gain training in natural refrigerants and I am most keen to learn more about CO2.

Ere ere.....the old way is the best way......

No longer relevant.

Rob
    Last edited by Rob White; 29-05-2014 at 03:47 PM.
    .. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

wtf ?? why would a fridgy want a phone jammer????

The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of Gps Jammer, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the cell phone jammer canada has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of wifi jammer as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.

The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of Gps Jammer, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the cell phone jammer canada has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of wifi jammer as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.

I have the nvq level my brazing and my fgas , I also have a hand full of mitsi and daikin training certificates .
    however there is just no substitute for experience .

How much did gas cost

How much did fgas cost

Quote Originally Posted by asakim View Post
    How much did fgas cost
    Hello Asakim.

Normally people who join on here introduce themselves and then
    if they want a question asking they either post a question
    and await a response or they search the site and see if any
    information is available.

Joining and posting on a thread that was started in 2006 might
    just get ignored.

So welcome to the site, why don't you introduce yourself to others
    and take it from there.

As to your question, I think Google would be your friend.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=fgas+training

There is enough information there to keep you going a while.

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234