Minimum Qualifications for UK Refrigeration Engineers

This is a reminder on current legislation

UK Parliament SIs 2000-Present/2006/1501-1550/Ozone Depleting Substances (Qualifications) Regulations 2006 (SI 2006/1510)/

SCHEDULE 1 Table of Minimum Qualifications
    Tasks

Servicing and maintenance of equipment.

Equipment

Refrigeration, air conditioning and heat pump equipment which is stationary at all times when in operation.
    Commercial and domestic refrigerators and freezers which are stationary at all times when in operation.
    Portable refrigeration, air conditioning and heat pump equipment.

Minimum Qualification

(a) City & Guilds Certificate in Handling Refrigerants Scheme 2078.
    (b) Construction Industry Training Board Safe Handling of Refrigerants Reference 206710.
    ---------------------------------------------

Dismantling of equipment.

Refrigeration, air conditioning and heat pump equipment--

(a) which is stationary at all times when in operation;

Minimum Qualification

(a) City & Guilds Certificate in Handling Refrigerants Scheme 2078.
    (b) Construction Industry Training Board Safe Handling of Refrigerants Reference 206710.

LRAC is offline Veteran Poster I am starting to push the Mods: of RE

Re: Minimum Qualifications for UK Refrigeration Engineers

Hi Abe
    Iv'e heard rumours that any body with a City & Guilds qualification in refrigeration will soon have to replace them with NVQ.

It took me 3 years at college to get my qualifications i don't want to start over again.

Lrac

Quote Originally Posted by LRAC View Post
    Hi Abe
    Iv'e heard rumours that any body with a City & Guilds qualification in refrigeration will soon have to replace them with NVQ.

It took me 3 years at college to get my qualifications i don't want to start over again.

Lrac
    Hi LRAC
    When I did my apprentiship they gave us NVQ's when we filled in our log book
    To me they will never be as good as the C&G Qualification

Kind Regards Andy
    If you can't fix it leave it that no one else will:rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by LRAC View Post
    Hi Abe

Lrac
    Its just a " wild" assumption

Hi Abe
    Under the ozone depleting regulations yes a 2078 or CITB cert will do however under the FGAS regulations you have to be deemed competent to work on all refrigerants containing Flourine ans at a recent industry group meeting it was agreed that the minimum qualification is a level 2 NVQ in refrigeration and air conditioning which is a City & Guilds qualification number 6087/02. The other point as far as anyone wanting to work on fridge plant is the total implimentation of the Skillcard scheme which also requires the same qualification. Industry are well aware that there are alot of people out there working as refrigeration engineers who have no formal qualifications, due to the requirement for culpability in the event of an accident employers are now looking for qualified staff. The gas industry have had this for years. If anybody needs any further information drop me a PM.

Ian

LRAC I am presuming you did an apprenticeship and did at least the 207 City & Guilds exam if so you have an NVQ.
    Last edited by Pooh; 03-12-2006 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    Hi Abe
    Under the ozone depleting regulations yes a 2078 or CITB cert will do however under the FGAS regulations you have to be deemed competent to work on all refrigerants containing Flourine ans at a recent industry group meeting it was agreed that the minimum qualification is a level 2 NVQ in refrigeration and air conditioning which is a City & Guilds qualification number 6087/02. The other point as far as anyone wanting to work on fridge plant is the total implimentation of the Skillcard scheme which also requires the same qualification. Industry are well aware that there are alot of people out there working as refrigeration engineers who have no formal qualifications, due to the requirement for culpability in the event of an accident employers are now looking for qualified staff. The gas industry have had this for years. If anybody needs any further information drop me a PM.

Ian

LRAC I am presuming you did an apprenticeship and did at least the 207 City & Guilds exam if so you have an NVQ.

I stand corrected, not a wild assumption after all. Ill try and keep a check on whats happening

Thank you for the update

the_addict Guest

Hi,

what qualifications would you need to become a refrigeration engineer for say the likes of Space Engineering? ie being able to do call out, service and commissioning work?

many thanks for any info you could give me.

regards
    Rob.

U need your 2079

or J11 in BetaMax, wats that all about??

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBoy View Post
    U need your 2079
    And the rest.

2079 is just the 'safe handling of refrigerants' certificate. It doesn't have anything to do with the mechanical/engineering/electrical skills needed to do the job.

I only do vehicle A/C, but that alone required C&G 6048 (vehicle a/c service & repair) and 2079. Even those have now been replaced by C&G 5101 part 1, part 2 etc.

If I didn't already know it from experience, I would also need to learn how to troubleshoot/repair DC electrical and electronic circuits.