Thread: Frosting

Frosting

i am trying to find out as much information aout frosting pipes as i can really anything you guys can tell me would be great!

ive noticed on one site two of there units the suction line service valve is completely frosted over so i open them up just to look out of interrest and its frosted over right back to and including the compressor? this is not good right?

is this because liquid is slugging back? if not what else causes frost? on the suction or liquid line?

i mean what confuses me is the fact these pipes are very cold when there running normally anyways, especially the liquid line so in my mind it may frost but running fine?

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Frosting

It does depend on the unit or manufacturer sometimes.

Some units can be working fine but the suction line is running cold because of the pipeline length being at or over the maximum recommended.

What you really need to do is measure the suction pressure and pipeline temperature so that a comparision with an 'ideal' can be made. Don't forget to do the same with the high pressure side as well because a single pressure/temperature will not provide enough information for analysis purposes.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Check to make sure the filters are clean, this is generally the cause.

It also could be over-charged.

Chillin
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

Thanks guys i will keep that in mind