love to hear from the pros.(gas change)

Gents.
    In this neck of the woods alot of companies have started to advertise that to save energy they are having specials on "change out of gas" thats the advert. pitch what they are trying to convince persons of is, if persons with a/c units wise to save a bundle of cash on their energy bills,the should pay to have their refrigerant gas changed to one of the newer blends.e.g(r22 to 404a)
    How much of an energy saving will be seen or can be seen by just a gas change any takers

Re: love to hear from the pros.(gas change)

think its minimal,theres all sorts of claims over here,some retrofits are succesfull some are not,some are kind to the equipement some up the pressures and kill it,same old story,if it aint broke dont fix it, only way is new advanced inverter R410A kit,

Quote Originally Posted by jamcool View Post
    Gents.
    the should pay to have their refrigerant gas changed to one of the newer blends.e.g(r22 to 404a)
    How much of an energy saving will be seen or can be seen by just a gas change any takers
    Changing the refrigerant to another on an established system is not in itself going to save the customer money. The cost of regasing will out weigh the money saved in effieceny. Also there is a very limited choice of drop in that would cheaply replace R22.

Cheers taz.

My sentiments, but the pitch is selling like hot bread with an average electricity bill(running 1 a/c unit) around JA$20000 per month(about 200 pounds ) its not hard to convince persons with units.Well will hear the noise when they realize that its not all that

My sentiments, but the pitch is selling like hot bread with an average electricity bill(running 1 a/c unit) around JA$20000 per month(about 200 pounds ) its not hard to convince persons with units.Well will hear the noise when they realize that its not all that

Wow at 200UKpounds a month I'd change the gas as well .
    I don't know how you can afford to run them at that cost. They ought to send their customes to a colder climate like here in the UK

Cheers taz.

This is an interesting post and there’s more to this than meets the eye. I’m always interested in the human ingenuity in conjuring cash out of nothing, and here’s a good example.

Consider the first claim. Change to an alternative refrigerant and save on energy and money. Maybe you will, but it’s dependent on the amount of usage and a lot of climate and lifestyle variables. Besides as has already been mentioned, any like for like the savings are probably very small.

Secondly (as I understand it, correct me if I’m wrong) there are no restrictions on the use and supply of R22 (an HCFC, not a CFC) in Jamaica, as there are in other parts of the world. So the phase-out schedule for R22 follows the Montréal Protocol (2030). So there is no urgent or legal need to change to an alternative other than the claim that it will save sacks of money.

Thirdly, what happens to all that R22 that is taken out of service? Maybe it’s just vented. Very naughty, but it happens. If the companies offering this service are really cute, they will bottle it ands sell it because with a dwindling market worldwide for R22, plus increased production ands raw material costs, the price of R22 is set to rise very sharply in the markets where it is still allowed. R22 is a valuable commodity. CFCs are finished, but a demand for the existing bank of HCFCs will still be with us for a long time yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Thirdly, what happens to all that R22 that is taken out of service? .

We need somthing to blow the condensers clean

Cheers taz

You have hit the nail on the head Argus no set time for phase out I think Jamaica is going by the Protocol or better put we are going by the dealers in the USA because thats where we buy our gas,as it is now there are 3 types of refrigerant in use and sale,134a,r22 and 404a,the first and latter not used as much as r22,as to recover if you wish to buy a recover unit from a fridge shop its a 2 day wait and then you have to think hard what to do with the recovered gas as there is no plant as far as I know that takes recovered gas on a personal note have to be thankfull that have not had the need so far to do a lot of recovery ,thats life in the tropics,but hay! its warm all year round the girls are hot and the beer is always cold

....... or better put we are going by the dealers in the USA because thats where we buy our gas,....
    Watch the cost of HCFCs (R22) go through the roof in the next few years.

There's going to be a global shortage.

If I might just add a quick note. Having the correct refrigerant charge in a system does more for energy savings and equipment longevity then what refrigerant it uses.