CraigB Guest

working outside the UK

I am an air conditioning engineer and have all the relevent certificates to allow me to operate in the UK, but I am planning on carrying out some air con work in France, does anyone know if my certification i.e. safe handling etc. is valid or what other documentation I require to enable me to do this.

thanks in advance for any help in this matter

Craig

Re: working outside the UK

As far as I know all UK quals are valid in the EU.

Cheers taz.

Quote Originally Posted by taz24 View Post
    As far as I know all UK quals are valid in the EU.

Cheers taz.
    That's the theory....

Anybody tried it yet?

Well I am Uk certified and have being trying to get work in the uk or europe I also need work papers but the UK certi. is not enough to convince companies to try and take me on.
    So for me its good to have but not alot of help when job hunting

Craig’s question in his first post was, I think, about the clause in the F Gas Regulations (Article 5, Training and Certification) that expects members states to organise their own certification procedures on competency (in handling Fluorinated Gases) and notify them by July 2008. It goes on to say that these local certificates issued shall be mutually recognised throughout the EU.

This presumes that the holders are EU citizens, I suppose, otherwise the usual work permits would apply in EU member states.

This piece of legislation is very new and applies to handling F Gases only.
    It doesn’t presume that you can work anywhere if you don’t have the local vocational qualifications or permits relating to refrigeration and air conditioning. Some countries also have strict rules about working on electrical supplies and equipment which we often encounter.

So, I guess you will be able to handle refrigerants in France when the certificates are finalised and recognised, but I don’t know how you stand in regard to other related qualifications….. not to mention the local lingo – there are 25 countries in the EU at the moment and lots of languages.

Also there is a recognised EU qual in heat pump instalation and maint. Although it is not mandatory like all things to do with the EU it could well be in the future,

Cheers taz.