View Poll Results: What anti-virus software do you use?

Voters
118. You may not vote on this poll
  • Norton

36 30.51%
  • Zone Alarm

6 5.08%
  • AVG

54 45.76%
  • McAffee

18 15.25%
  • PCcillin

4 3.39%

Hybrid View

Re: Anti virus software

Hi, US Iceman

Quote Originally Posted by US Iceman View Post
    I'm curious what types of anti-virus software everyone is using. If there are some brands I have not listed, please tell us what you use and the results you have had.

Thanks.
    My son is IT eng and he decided to install NOD32 (couple of years ago), until now no problems with viruses at all. It is not free but worth more than paid.

Have also:

www.winpatrol.com
    www.lavasoft.com

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

I use Norton on all my computers - it's easy, reliable and available.
    I also have webroot anti spyware as an extra precaution.

I'm regularly getting clobbered by attempts on my computers - it's a fact of life these days, so whatever the system, the most important aspect is their speed of response to new threats and availability of the various fixes.

It reminds me of when they were touting Newquay in Cornwall as England's answer to Hawaii as a surfing centre some years ago.
    A local raw sewage outfall meant they were all surfing in a sea of floating krud when the tide changed.
    Did they stop surfing? No.
    A lot of folk went down with Ghadafi's revenge and the rest acquired better rubber suits and carried on as normal.

I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite version:6.5.737.000 for my firewall protection, it also does spyware and can do a virus scan as well.

For my virus protection I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus 6.0, this makes sure nothing gets onto my pc and nothing can run without my say so.

Running these 2 apps keep my pc clean and running like a dream, I have never had a problem with a virus or spyware.

I also run Ad-Aware se pro every now and then.

Chillin
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

I use Kaspersky.

Chemi

Norton is good, coupled with adaware se. Biggest problem i find is that with 180 gig HD the more i download films ect and fill it up the longer the scan takes. nearly 3/4 of an hour last time for norton and my pc is QUICK.
    Takes a licking, keeps on ticking.

Quote Originally Posted by slingblade View Post
    Norton is good, coupled with adaware se. Biggest problem i find is that with 180 gig HD the more i download films ect and fill it up the longer the scan takes. nearly 3/4 of an hour last time for norton and my pc is QUICK.
    LOL... thats a laugh, Even on a really really fast pc Norton will slow it down. The program takes up far too many resources and drags the pc down, even when it's not doing a scan.

Chillin
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

I have 7 PCs. I have had very little trouble with Viruses, Trojans, or Worms.
    Norton is a resource hog, and can be difficult to install/uninstall. It also gives a lot of false positives as well s being expensive and not supported for long after the new versions come out.
    Mcaffe is about the same in my brief experience with it.
    I am now using AVG Free. I have read it is not as effective as others but do not often run into anything anyway.
    I have heard good thing about Avast free edition, but have not tried it.
    In addition I use Lavasoft AdAware and Spybot free editions. Spybot is not as stable as AdAware, but works well. Whatever one does not catch the other does.
    I also run ZoneAlarm free Firewall.

Hi, Slingblade

Quote Originally Posted by slingblade View Post
    Try NOD32, it is very fast...

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Hi Josip,

I was looking at the NOD32 US website. This looks like a good program. How long have you been using this?

Since you son is an IT person, he may know something we do not.
    Last edited by US Iceman; 13-10-2006 at 02:31 AM. Reason: I can't spell...

Thumbs up Re: Anti virus software

Quote Originally Posted by Josip View Post
    Hi, US Iceman

My son is IT eng and he decided to install NOD32 (couple of years ago), until now no problems with viruses at all. It is not free but worth more than paid.

Best regards, Josip
    My friends business uses NOD32 on their work P.Cs