Quote Originally Posted by paul_h View Post
AV software depends on what you what.
Do you want something that runs continously consuming resourses and checking every file you access constantly?
Or do you want a simple small program you can use just to check new downloaded files manually before opening, and maybe run a full scan once a week?

I use to run AVG and avast, but I didn't need that level of obtrusiveness and memory stolen from me, as I didn't seem to get any viruses anyway. I didn't need every program checked on schedule or every email checked.

Now I just use clamwin, it's a manual scanner that doesn't protect you automatically, so it doesn't hog you PC memory. You just manually right-click and scan any downloads or attachments before opening and if you know what you're doing, that, a good firewall, good malware scanners and good PC usage is enough.
You don't have to pay continually for a product or updates (clam win is free and has free updates), and you don't need some resource hogging bloatware always running on your PC.
I recommend avast if you want something fully automatic and have a decent spec PC though, small enough and funtional enough.
It sounds like good AV softwaqre for you if you are the only user of the PC,

In my situation many house hold members use my PC and will not know how to manually run the AV manually or will be to lazy.

I think for PC's that are used by other users need auto protection, especially in my application and situation, otherwise i may be doing system the dreaded system recoveries every 3 months.

Regards A-Z