quiet 4 way reversing valve

hello anyone know a manufacturer of a quiet 4 way reversing valve. im after one that maybe opens slowly so the pressure has a chance to equalise. anyone got any ideas please!!!!!!!!!

thanks for reading my thread

Re: quiet 4 way reversing valve

The only way I see it is making one yourself with normal SV's and a very small SV's with cappillary tubes mounted over your setup to equalise first pressure before opening and/or closing the valves.
    It's inherent at switching a 4 way valve with LP on one side and HP on the other side. If you switch both at a sudden, then you have noise, this can't be avoided.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Bear in mind that the pressure diferential across a normal reversing valve is what drives the valve from one end to the othter.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

I don't know if you can find specific quiet 4 way reversing valve.

If you will adopt an appropriate strategy for comutation on/off you can take advantages. I mean you can delayed to switch off the 4 way reversing valve by 3-5 min. after compressor has stopped.

After time delay, HP and LP are quiet closed and if you switch off the 4 way reversing valve, the noise produced will be minimum or will missing.

All the best,
    Nicola

Nicolacozma, good suggestion and I would like add to that, install a SV with a capillary tube over the 4 way valve so that the equalisatoin goes faster.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

[quote=steveg;50941]hello anyone know a manufacturer of a quiet 4 way reversing valve. im after one that maybe opens slowly so the pressure has a chance to equalise. anyone got any ideas please!!!!!!!!!

Why would you need a quieter one? They are inside the cond unit houseing so any noise will be outside. Is it effecting the neibours or somthing?

Cheers taz

Hi taz,

Try to cut the power supply from one AC unit which work in heating mode or cooling mode (important is that 4 way reversing valve is supplyed ) and then listen the noise produced on the indoor unit.

You will heard an important noise produced by equilibration of HP and LP, and all of this its happend because when you cut of the power, you cut the power also for 4 way reversing valve and it will going to changeover.

Best regards,
    Nicola

You will heard an important noise produced by equilibration of HP and LP, and all of this its happend because when you cut of the power, you cut the power also for 4 way reversing valve and it will going to changeover.

Best regards,
    Nicola
    Ah right I see now. If that is the case you need somthing that bleeds the pressure slowly. I'm not sure what the best option would be because I was thinking of an equaliseing line that vents the pressure before the system changes over. But if you are talking about when it powers down you will have no control over when you loose the power.
    Cheers taz.
    Last edited by frank; 08-10-2006 at 01:13 PM.