compressor killed by an inexperienced amateur

Someone made the captube too long and really overcharged the system to compensate. This is the result:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=117425

"If Hannah was an air handler, I would be a condensing unit so I could open her TXV and pump my refrigerant through her coils." - a HVAC friend of mine

Re: compressor killed by an inexperienced amateur

In my first glance of the thread title i thought that i have to see a picture i have seen more than 15 years ago:

An amateur technician with his brains all around when a piece of a compressor (semi hermetic) hit his head.
    The investigation shows that the guy is pressure testing the compressor with N2 gas.

But after viewing the picture and re reading the title, it dawn on me that it was the compressor that was killed.

Hope the amateurs should think twice before tinkering with work that they do not fully understand.

Dear Fredy,

We had installed a Deep Freezer Room for storage of Ice Cream. After a couple of years there was some gas to be charged, and the client instead of informing us called an amateur technician who after checking the leaks pressure tested the system with N2 gas. Without taking the gas out and vaccuming the sytem he started the compressor which resulted in the compressor being blown off and hitting the technician on the head and killing him instantly.

There are so many such cases.

With best wishes,

It's a funny title to this thread

Have you ever heard of an EXPERIENCED AMATUER?

Samarjit Sen:

. . . . which resulted in the compressor being blown off and hitting the technician on the head and killing him instantly.

There are so many such cases
    Maybe we need to post a picture of that amateur with all its gory details.

This will at least make some of the amateurs (inexperienced or experienced) to take note of danger.

I agree they all scream of the dangers of propane and the like with out giving the pressure a single fleating thought, one thing that has me miffed at Xs they whine about the dangers of propane while ignore thing even more bigger danger of pressure and gas embolism.

there are a lot of professional people working in the sector thinking that they are qualefyd and experianced.i have worked for 3 years in commercial cooling and now for 5 years industrial and i still grt it wrong once in a while i just try not to make screw ups.the first mistake you can make when your working on a problem is thinking the one before you did everything ok

Kind regards Art

Have you ever heard of an EXPERIENCED AMATEUR? [/quote]
    I am an EXPERIENCED AMATEUR, Homebrewer, Sailor, Computer Tech, Marksman, and Remodeler. (Humor)

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    It's a funny title to this thread

Have you ever heard of an EXPERIENCED AMATUER?
    No such thing Frank,
    only wannabes

We had installed a Deep Freezer Room for storage of Ice Cream. After a couple of years there was some gas to be charged, and the client instead of informing us called an amateur technician who after checking the leaks pressure tested the system with N2 gas. Without taking the gas out and vaccuming the sytem he started the compressor which resulted in the compressor being blown off and hitting the technician on the head and killing him instantly
    I was working in Riyadh back in the 90', then due to
    to the Saudi gov't effort to let the saudi's in the work
    force, thus sending all expats home, every workgroup must have saudi trainees..
    A group of three expats working on a 45TR Trane airconditioning unit which include
    one saudi... we have cylinders of ***** 22 marked green the same as oxygen also.
    a filipino guy was with them.. according to him the were vaccumming the system
    and eventually filling it with F22... at start up a bigbang occured..
    (same as those scuds & patriots)...the entire condensing unit was ripped off...
    doors andwalls of the AHU room were blown ...they let the saudi do the charging...
    guess what happened... a charge of F22 could have not done such damage...Lucky
    nobody was killed....they spent a lot of time in the hospital to tell the tale....What a mess!
    Last edited by pabs_ref; 24-11-2006 at 01:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pabs_ref View Post

snip
    at start up a bigbang occured..
    snip
    What a mess!

I knew someone who pressure tested a small cabinate with no gauge on the bottle. The HSE were involved because of the resultant damage and risk to life caused.

I have mentioned it before on here before but it is funny so worth another mention.
    I knew somone who blew out a condenser with his propane bottle and then blew out the shop windows when he lit his leak lamp.

Cheers taz.
    Last edited by taz24; 25-11-2006 at 10:01 PM. Reason: added extra.

Muppets!!!

Quote Originally Posted by taz24
    I have mentioned it before on here before but it is funny so worth another mention.
    I knew somone who blew out a condenser with his propane bottle and then blew out the shop windows when he lit his leak lamp.
    But I'll bet he was cheaper than the others...

Quote Originally Posted by US Iceman View Post
    But I'll bet he was cheaper than the others...
    You would think so would'nt you.
    Unfortunatly he worked for one of the largest companies in the UK back in the 70s.

taz.

Sometimes it is not limited to the small-time operators working out of their cars.