acgu25 Guest

manitowoc ice machine

Hello all Iam a service tech and i have a problem with an ice machine i need some insight on

acgu25 Guest

Re: manitowoc ice machine

iI am working on a manitowoc ice Machine m# IB1024yc
    condensor unit CVD1075, was called out on a no ice call.So when i got there machine was out on saftey limit 1. reset it checked charge , system running at 90 psig on suction 250psig on head you could hear harvest valve leaking so i replaced valve the following day. recovered from three ports replaced valve pulled vacuum to 250 microns and weighed charge in start up machine and let run a cycle check pressuere and realize i,m still running at 60 psig

acgu25 Guest

Ambient temp 72 degrees should have been running 42psig head pressure ok in freeze and in harvest mode bottom of evap not freezing ice middle and top is ok freeze time is 30 min which is three times the time it needs to tried pumpdown test pulls down to 0 psig and hold so valves seem ok heres the kicker Manitowoc say they think compressor may have broken crank in compressor how is that going to affect suction when compressor runs and seem ok

Had a prestcold compressor that didn't seem to be working as well as it should and found after taking the head off that it had thrown a rod. It was now 1.5hp and not 3hp! This was caused by the customer running the DX milk tank with no milk in it was a fixed orifice model so no tev to shut down The compressor ran nice and quiet and gave no indication of the damage.
    How does the run current compare to that on the compressor plate? Low current = low load, i'd expect the current to be higher if the suction pressure is above normal. If its a hermetic compressor can you suck some oil out through the suction port with a small tube/syringe to see if it has and wear metals to indicate somethings snapped?

Cheers Jon

THOMAS PAYNE Guest

Running at 60 psig in the beginning of the freeze cycle is not uncommon. I would not read my suction until 5 minutes into the freeze cycle. The most important diagnostic tool is a totla cycle time. Suction pressures are over rated and should not be held to exact publications of a handbook. If the cycle time is higher than published book time then I would look at an overfeeding TXV.