Ice Box on my Whirlpool Fridge/Freezer not working

Hi,

I've had a Whirlpool side by side fridge/freezer for about 18 months. We've recently renewed our kitchen and only connected the water supply pipe last week. The problem is that although the water supply is fine and I can deispense water through the door, the ice maker doesn't work at all. There's no noises coming from it, no water enters the unit and the paddles are fixed and don't turn at all.

I've tries speaking to Whirlpool and they won't help without charging as it's out of the guarantee period

Is there a way of diagnosing the problem so I can get it fixed myself without paying through the nose?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Ice Box on my Whirlpool Fridge/Freezer not working

hi Chouman.you`ve probable got a cam timer that runs the ice maker on your fridge.i`ve come across a lot of these that have broken on whirlpool`s and it sounds like yours is the same.ideally it would be better to get an engineer to have a look.
    good luck.

Thanks arcticmonkey, there's power into the multi-connector block which connects the unit (I removed it to check), plus the unit is showing live too.

I assume the cam timer is part of the ice maker unit, so I'll probably try and get another and swap it, but the cheapest I've managed to find it is £107! Is that what I should expect to pay for the part alone? Otherwise, do you have an idea of what an engineer would charge to confirm the diagnosis of the problem?

Thanks again for any help.

Is the metal arm sticking out the side of it down?

If is is then it could be the little motor. You can take the cover off and turn the white plastic cog by hand and test the rest of the system. (you might have to unscrew the cog 1st).

Chillin
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

Hi Chillin Out, thanks for your reply. Sorry, I'm not sure where the metal arm is you're talking about. The 'fingers' sit at 2o'clock when I look at them if that makes a difference. There's a note on the unit saying not to turn the cog by hand, but, in my usual way, I thought I would try. When I tried to move the big cog at the end under the cover, I couldn't move it -should I be able to rotate it by hand? If there's a possibility of breaking it, which way should I turn it - clockwise or anti-clockwise?

Thanks again!

The metal arm sticks out the right hand side of the unit, it is there to stop and start it.

You will need to undo the screw in the middle of the cog and then turn it clockwise.

2 full revolutions is what it does each time it makes ice.

If you have a multi meter you could test to see if you are getting power to the motor, but.... be very carefull if you are going to take it apart. Some of these 'spring' apart and bits fly everywhere when you open then...lol

Also, I think the 'fingers' are meant to sit at 9 o'clock.

Chillin
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa