Thread: VFD design

VFD design

I'm planning to build a phase change cooler for a PC (science fair project) and I need to regulate the temperature. Due to cost reasons, I must use an ordinary compressor - no VFD compressors or other special modulating compressors. About how much capacity control (Hz range) can I expect to achieve with a MOSFET inverter and an ordinary recip or rotary compressor? (The inverter will use a simple PWM modulator to achieve sine wave output and adjust the control voltage to the VCO from the temperature sensor with opamps - no Ashlee Simpson micros or PLLs in this design.)

BTW, before anyone asks what compressor I'm going to use it with, I currently don't know as I'm still looking for a good deal on a used compressor.

"If Hannah was an air handler, I would be a condensing unit so I could open her TXV and pump my refrigerant through her coils." - a HVAC friend of mine

Re: VFD design

I think your question is a little bit too m uch electronic related, so don't expect that much answers because we're refrigeration techs and no electronic boys.

How low can you go depends on the brand and sort of compressor.
    We've ran Bitzer as low as 10 Hz and as high as 70 Hz.
    Bitzer gives a minimum of 30 or 25 Hz I think, Bock goes lower.
    A scroll must run a much higher speeds, otherwise the scrolls inside loose contact and they compress not any longer.

Main reason for a minimum speed is lubrication in general and boundary layer lubrication more specific.

I think this will be a trial and error.

Why not use a small hot gas, SV controlled and inject some hotgas? At these extreme low capacities, you don't need that much hotgas to achieve a stable LP.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

There is a proportional hot gas valve, 3 way.

Should be helpful.

Chemi

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Try a low voltage Danfoss compressor, you can vary the speed very easily.

Check out the BD range
    http://www.danfoss.com/Products/Cate...972d837cf1a%7d
    Last edited by Brian_UK; 16-09-2006 at 11:07 PM.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Then I'll need a 12v power supply that can supply a lot of current, and that isn't cheap.
    "If Hannah was an air handler, I would be a condensing unit so I could open her TXV and pump my refrigerant through her coils." - a HVAC friend of mine