Vauxhall (Opel) Astra evaporator - where is it?

My car a\c is not working too well

The gauges show evaporating at 2.4 bar and condensing at 7.5 bar, so the gas charge seems about right.

However, before doing anything else, I want to clean the evap. Where is it????

I can see the tubes going through the bulkhead but surely you don't have to rave out the whole radio\ventilation facia in the centre to console to get to it do you?

Steve

Re: Vauxhall (Opel) Astra evaporator - where is it?

I can see the tubes going through the bulkhead but surely you don't have to rave out the whole radio\ventilation facia in the centre to console to get to it do you?
    Yes.

The chances are the evap is clean anyway. Have a look for any air intake filters just below the windscreen.

Chillin
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

Astras use a variable displacement compressor, so very little can be learned from the pressures. Always ensure the correct charge by weighing the refrigerant in before you start pulling dashboards apart.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Hofmann View Post
    Astras use a variable displacement compressor, so very little can be learned from the pressures.
    How is this so

The compressors in my industrial background were variable displacement yet we still read pressures and so from that the evaporating and condensing pressures.

Displacement, so pumping capacity, varied as to the load on the plant as to whether more gas needed to be shifted from the evaporator.

The pressures on the Astra varied between 2.2 and 2.4 bar once the system had settled, but there was some apparent "switching" at one stage, but only by about 0.2 bar below those figures.

Also, the usual logic is you clean the evaporating and condensing elements first before making any judgements about gas charge.

Steve

The same appears to be true with variable speed (Inverter) ac systems, perhaps someone with superior technical knowlage can explain why but with variable displacement compressors the pressures do seem to be constant for any given ambient irrespective of refrigerant charge (Down to a degree).

On any car it is always far easier to check the refrigerant charge first than it is to rip out dashboards or remove tons of plastic condenser cowling. So start there.
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Hofmann View Post
    The same appears to be true with variable speed (Inverter) ac systems, perhaps someone with superior technical knowlage can explain why but with variable displacement compressors the pressures do seem to be constant for any given ambient irrespective of refrigerant charge (Down to a degree).

On any car it is always far easier to check the refrigerant charge first than it is to rip out dashboards or remove tons of plastic condenser cowling. So start there.
    OK. Recover and recharge it is then...

On a 2003 model then, anyone know the charge weight?

And, any techincal info on this type of compressor anywhere on the internet?

Steve
    Last edited by SteveDixey; 09-09-2006 at 09:45 PM.

the charge weight is on a label under the bonnet, on the slam panel I think. the compressor is a Delphi SP10 which I guess will be very similar in operation to the Delphi/ Harrison V5
    Karl

I am sure I've seen Delphi on the compressor body.

Thanks

Steve