Hybrid View

Re: Blown capacitor cause

Quote Originally Posted by Larry2 View Post
    It can also draw too much current if the compressor is pumping into a restriction, such as debris in a metering device or an expansion valve issue. I have watched a high pressure side peg out the gauge at 500 PSI due to a blocked expansion valve and then blow the circuit protection device.
    I am confused by this? If there is a blockage in a metering device, wont the system go into pumpdown, resulting in lower pressures, and lower current draw?

I had this on a cellar cooling unit - we replaced the compressor (ManEurope), it started fine but after a few minuites the run capacitor blew up. Changed it and its been fine since.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Quote Originally Posted by Takeshi View Post
    I had this on a cellar cooling unit - we replaced the compressor (ManEurope), it started fine but after a few minuites the run capacitor blew up. Changed it and its been fine since.
    Did you not replace the capacitor and start contactor/relay as a matter of course when changing the compressor ?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Yeh - but ManEuope did not give us any capacitors or anything with the compressor , so we had to make do with what we had.