BlueMania Guest

Smile I dream of Beer in my case...

Hello experts.
    I had a crazy thought yesterday as i trodded across the house to get a beer. I had been thinking of a better way of cooling my CPU, but that idea transformed into something a bit more complicated:
    What if i were to have 2 cases.
    One for a refridgeration unit. It also holds beer and snacks i want to keep k00l.
    The other houses my current computer, with the only modification being that the refridgerating unit blows cold air right onto the CPU by various ways of control.

So i spent tonight researching how fridges work and various methods of cooling. I came across a promising one called thermoelectric cooling. That looks to be good but i hear it doesnt get a great output. The space im looking at to put the entire fridge unit is about: 10cm wide X 20cm Length X 30cm Height.

So, you guys are the expert, and im just a guy with little idea about fridges, but an idea of how convienient a beer can get.

EDIT: oopps i didnt mention the two cases would be joined,

Trust an aussie to come up with a "novel" solution to this problem. Good Dinkum lateral thinking mate!!!

Why didnt we think about it??

Want to cool your cpu?, simple
    Stick it in a little fridge

And keep the beer and butter cool at the same time

And you dont have to pay a NAsa Rocket scientests wage to design this one!!!

Thumbs up

Hi, well the simple ones are the best. I do work for a company with a coldstore, included in this coldstore is a bar code scanning operation, this is all hooked up to an ordinary pc, which just happens to be inside the -20c deep freeze. No problems provided you don't have to take the pc out of the deep freeze, to do that necessitates keeping the pc off for a day or two until all the condensation drys off.
    Buy/borrow an ordinary house hold freezer with a capacity in watts greater than that of the wattage of the equipment and cable everything out, close the door and let us know what happens.
    Regards. Andy.

BlueMania Guest
    Yes, but the catch is it has to be transportable. Two computer cases are relativly easy to put in a car boot, while a fridge isnt exactly preferable.
    Im not sure if your trying to have a go at me aiyub. As i said, im no expert. But you guys are. Im looking tips on types of cooling to look into so i can have some fun making this little project of mine. Thats all it is, fun. I want to do something novel, as you said. Something a little left limb and have a good time learning and toying on the way.

Whats me being aussie got anything to do with it?
    Strewth! Blimy!
    (yes i threw that in for your benifit)

- Dead Simple!

Buy 2 caravan coolers (absorption systems) put one computer and beer into each one - mount a couple of lorry batteries on top, put the whole rig onto castors - add a mains voltage battery charger on for way stops and hey presto! - you have got every thing you wished for!!!!

Now thats lateral thinking!!!!

If I were going to try to cool my cpu... I would run insulated ducts from a remote freezer unit. A supply and a return. The reason I would use a freezer... much colder air and lower humidity coming from the supply.

:D
    Dean
    Subzero*psia

Extinction is simply proof of failure to adapt.

BlueMania Guest
    Hey, thanks for all your input.
    I like your idea subzero, ill look into that.

You do know that if you cool your entire computer and you have it in a warm, humid location... it will cause condensation to form on it. Unless you insulate the computer also.

You will either need to put a small fan motor blowing in the insulated supply or else one in the freezer at the return duct that draws air. You can get small duct "helper" fan kits in a hardware store for about $8 to $10 usually... you mount them inside your duct... smallest duct they fit into is a 6 inch round though.

I wonder how much if any, it will speed up your processor.... probably not much unless you hit ultra-low temps.
    :D
    Dean
    Subzero*psia

Extinction is simply proof of failure to adapt.

Blue,

Not having a go.......mate........or do I say matey

You know the age old rivalry between you down unders and "us" Pomms
    Well on this occasion I reckon the Aussies came up tops,( in my opinion anyway)

so I was complimenting you instead of taking the mick !!

All very good natured........I must say, so lets leave it at that

Have a good Dinkum day

Gday!!

Abe

BlueMania Guest

Sorted then