Unhappy Airwell Florida Inverter Air Condition - in need of help

Hi!

Less than one week ago I pusrchased an Airwell Florida (model) DC Inverter air condition system.
    I haven't tested it yet on how it cools, 'cos the weather was actually cold for the past few days.

The guy, that installed the AC said, that the Remote Control I received with the unit (RC-4(RC) model) is not the proper one, since it lacks some functions (ION, STRONG (fan speed), left-right flap control).

The lack of ION and STRONG speed control doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the last of wind flaps, that control the flow of air left-right, since it mustn't be done by hand. Above mentioned Remote Control unit has under the cover 2 buttons to control flaps. The left one appears to control up-down flap and the right one appears to control left-right flap. However, the one, that appears to control the up-down flap, is AUTO-SWING, which swings it up and down without end until the button is pressed again. The other button, that looks like it controls left-right flaps is just swinging up-down flaps in short steps. For both buttons, only up-down flap picture appears on LCS of Remote Control.

That's why I received another model of Remote Control unit (RC-4(HL)). It has all other functions for extra STRONG fan speed, ION remote control and left-right flap control. When the left-right flap control button is pressed, the right picture is show on Remote Control's LCD. However, the Indoor Unit does not respond to it's commands.
    Now, the Remote Control unit has at the back, above the batteries storage, 4 DIP SWITHES. So I went through all 16 variations of settings. Results are as follows (dip switch 1 is the most left one, 4 is the most right one):
    - If dip switch 1 is set to 1, remote control lacks heating function. If set to 0 it has heating function.
    - If dip switch 1 is set to 0 and dip switch 2 is set to 1, all functions work, but AC doesn't recognize the signal.
    - If dip switch 1 is set to 0 and dip switch 2 is set to 0, AC unit recognizes the signal, but only basic functions are enabled on the remote control

For easier understanding:
    Code:
    DS1|DS2|DS3|DS4
    ------------------
    0   0   X   X   BASIC RC functions, AC accepts
    0   1   X   X   All RC functions, AC doesn't accept
    1   0   X   X   BASIC RC functions without heating, AC accepts
    1   1   X   X   All RC functions except heating, AC doesn't accept the signal
    Doesn't accept signal means also, that the AC can't be turned on or be operated.

I also informed the company that installed the AC unit, that a new RC doesn't work as it should, but I'd like to hear your expert opinions as well.

Thank you in advance for helping me resolve this problem

Re: Airwell Florida Inverter Air Condition - in need of help

A very bad picture of the Remote Control taken with my mobile phone
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm sure I've got the RC details in the office, I'll check tomorrow.

the second option changes the frequency of the transmitter so if you have 2 units in the same or adjoining room the signals don't interfere. This is a standard feature on most AC kit.

does ur unit have louver motors we had this problem before were the controler looks to change direction but unit cant

The problem at the moment is, that when all functions are enabled via dip switches, the AC doesn't accept RC's signal. When dip switches are set to the way, that AC accepts RC's signals, not all functions are available on the RC unit. One of them is the control of the left-right flap.

However, I don't know if there are any motors for changing direction of the left-right flaps. When I got really frustrated, I tried moving the flaps by hand and it went very easy, with no resistance.

Is there a VALUE edition of the AIRWELL Florida Inverter AC without some features?
    Last edited by AndY1; 06-08-2006 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frank

the second option changes the frequency of the transmitter so if you have 2 units in the same or adjoining room the signals don't interfere. This is a standard feature on most AC kit.
    I thought as much. Where on the AC can I set it to 'listen' to the other frequency? If I can't set the RC to transmit on the AC's frequeny, maybe I can set the AC to listen to the right frequency.

I flipped dip switch to the frequency that this AC listens, but then the press's of the buttons for the ION, STRONG, left-right FLAP are not being recorded as pressed on the Remote Control Unit. RC is not transmitting these 'advanced functions', only basic.

Edit: I would be very glad if you posted the specs on the various dip switches settings.

Edit2: Sorry for the tripple post.

Check the white cable from wall controlor to indoor unit just pul off cover from controlor and check ( ja mislim da ti popravljas taj air con ali te malo stid da otvoreno pitas)

Quote Originally Posted by wolf
    Check the white cable from wall controlor to indoor unit just pul off cover from controlor and check ( ja mislim da ti popravljas taj air con ali te malo stid da otvoreno pitas)
    Thanx for your suggestion, but I wouldn't wanna loose my warranty :-)

I'll check though if I can access it without damaging anything.

(ne popravljam klim, sem pa programer in me interesirajo take stvari (tehnične), da jih popravim sam, če jih lahko :-)
    Last edited by AndY1; 07-08-2006 at 11:46 AM.

Any word on those details

Right then.

For the RC4 remote Control dip switch settings as follows:

Up position = ON
    Down position = OFF

Cooling only Unit
    Switch 1 (Mode) = ON
    Switch 2( Mode) = Off
    Switch 3 (Sweep) Auto + Manual = On
    Auto = OFF
    Switch 4 - No action

Heat Pump (without heat/cool auto Mode)

Sw1 = Off
    Sw2 = On
    Sw3 = Same Cool Only
    Sw4 = No Action

Heat pump (All Modes Available)

Sw1 = Off
    Sw2 = Off
    Sw3 = Same as Cooling Only
    Sw4 = No Action

Auto Heat/Cool or ventilation only Mode

Sw1 = On
    Sw2 = On
    Sw3 = Same as Cool Only
    SW4 - No Action

To reset the controller press SET, Clear, + - all together until all display dissapears.

For indoor units with automatic dual sweep mode e.g. XLM30, XLM 36, SX9 etc. put the SW3 to ON.

Hope this helps.

Have you tested the remote with the camera on your mobile phone to see if it is transmitting all the buttom commands?

To reset the controller press SET, Clear, + - all together until all display dissapears.
    Actually, my first RC-4 (RC model) had CLEAR button. It had vertical and horizontal flaps buttons, but they both worked only for flaps, which direct the flow up&down. One was auto-swing button, the other was moving up&down flaps in steps, even though the button picture showed left&right flaps. And for both buttons, the LCD blinked the picture of up&down flaps.
    This RC model also lacked ION and STRONG buttons.

That's why I received a different model of Remote Control: RC-4 (HL model). It has ION, STRONG, FRESH buttons. When SW2 is ON, all buttons give IR signal, but AC ignores all of them, including ON/OFF. When SW2 is OFF, AC accepts IR signals, but ION, STRONG, FRESH, left&right flap buttons don't work. There's no IR signal for these buttons, there's no LCD indications, that buttons are accepted. Only basic buttons work.

Have you tested the remote with the camera on your mobile phone to see if it is transmitting all the buttom commands?
    I'm testing it right now and it confirms my above (SW2) statement.

Thank you for trying to help me. I'm bafled by all of this. I really don't understand, why the AC is ignoring the commands, when SW2 is ON (thus enabling all buttons to work).
    Last edited by AndY1; 07-08-2006 at 10:30 PM.

This is another bad picture of my RC-4 (HL) unit.

The buttons go as follows:

ON/OFF: FAN SPEED: TEMP (-/+)

MODE: IFEEL: FRESH: STRONG

ROOM: SLEEP: ION: (picture of a) CLOCK

(vertical flap): (horizontal flap): LOCK (which is actually used to set the time): SET
    Attached Images Attached Images

Right then.

For the RC4 remote Control dip switch settings as follows:

Up position = ON
    Down position = OFF

Cooling only Unit
    Switch 1 (Mode) = ON
    Switch 2( Mode) = Off
    Switch 3 (Sweep) Auto + Manual = On
    Auto = OFF
    Switch 4 - No action

Heat Pump (without heat/cool auto Mode)

Sw1 = Off
    Sw2 = On
    Sw3 = Same Cool Only
    Sw4 = No Action

Heat pump (All Modes Available)

Sw1 = Off
    Sw2 = Off
    Sw3 = Same as Cooling Only
    Sw4 = No Action

Auto Heat/Cool or ventilation only Mode

Sw1 = On
    Sw2 = On
    Sw3 = Same as Cool Only
    SW4 - No Action

These are IMO RC-4 (RC) dip switch settings.

Do you have dip switch settings for the RC-4 (HL) model?

I will be getting a new (3rd one ;-) RC today or maybe tommorow. I hope it will work. I'll keep you posted.

Do you have dip switch settings for the RC-4 (HL) model?
    I checked today but - no - unfortunately, our books are circa 2000. Don't seem to cover the inverter type latest kit. Sorry

Don't be sorry. Thank you for all your help.

I just hope the 3rd RC will work as it should.

Good news:
    The 3d RC works. It's a model RC-4 I-1

Bad news: Left&Right flaps don't work. I can't even hear the electric motor working
    The command does get accepted by the AC, but it just doesn't work.

*Sigh*

Edit: I tried to move Left&Right flaps by hand and it went smoothly. Does this AC even have motor engine powered left&right flaps?
    Last edited by AndY1; 09-08-2006 at 01:46 PM.

If the installer has installed everything right, wouldnt it be a warranty problem? I mean, why should you have to spend time on this issueyou just purchaseda brand new a/c unit, it should be working perfectly. I would be calling the warranty phone number and have the warranty agent come out and take a look at dipswitch settings. Though be aware that if the warranty agent finds that it is not an equipment failure, but a user error, they might leave you a bill.

(The company i work for we are the warranty agents for one of the big A/c manufacturers)

If you are having problems with the louvre the indoor cpu board may be faulty out of the box. ( i have come across this in the past) if so, the warrnty agent should replace it for free.

having said that, the verticle flaps are often set by hand,(sometimes in the expensive models the vericle flaps are motorised) and the horizontal flaps are normally motorised, i am unfamiliar with your unit, but you should refer to your user manual.
    Last edited by MadApprentice; 09-08-2006 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadApprentice
    If you are having problems with the louvre the indoor cpu board may be faulty out of the box. ( i have come across this in the past) if so, the warrnty agent should replace it for free.

having said that, the verticle flaps are often set by hand,(sometimes in the expensive models the vericle flaps are motorised) and the horizontal flaps are normally motorised, i am unfamiliar with your unit, but you should refer to your user manual.
    Louvre is working as it should.

As for vertical flaps, I think this is the case with my AC unit. I believe, they should be set with hand, becuse if I try to move them, I feel no resistance.

Thanks you to all of you guys!

Could you please send me a picture of the back of the remote RC-4 (HL) (please make sure the picture is clear enough to see and read the sticker.

Thanks

cwong1 Guest

Hey can anyone tell me order of dip switches for an airwell dc inveter
    i hace the RC-41-1. I have teid countless combos and still no heat