Can low temps cause damage

Pic of intel pentium 4 2.2ghz @ 3.62ghz
    This was achieved with a can of liquid nitrogen on top of processor. My question is wether putting some components (motherboard with cpu, memory and graphics card) completely in liquid nitrogen is dangerous. Someone told me the smallest shock could/would break the motherboard. Is this true/possible?

I think the mainboard should be ok, graphics card, soundcard and power supply should be able to sustain the 'shock'......but hey...think it might take out your force feedback thrustmaster steering wheel....Hee Hee

Frosty

PS....my P4 3000034 GHz machine is performing well with a 346 kW magnetic refrigeration plant strapped to the processor heat sink!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cool

Pee wee, your are going to blow yourself up! quit f***ing about with nitrogen and get some professional help, the Quack type
    Regards.Andy.

Originally posted by Andy
    Pee wee, your are going to blow yourself up! quit f***ing about with nitrogen and get some professional help, the Quack type
    Regards.Andy.
    It wasn't me who did that ;-) The pic was of a sweden boy, but the ones who do it most are Japaneze. I don't want to try it because I simply do not have a good pc, nor the money for liquid helium and good air vent (in order to survive ;-) You're right it is rather dangerous, but hey records are to be broken

Wouldn't puchasing a faster CPU be less trouble than refilling the liquid nitrogen reservoir ? Also, the moisture condensed from the atmosphere on all of the other components is bound to be a problem ! Supercooling is known to be effective... but practical ??? Probably not on a desktop unit.

The Japanese just blew to top off the old speed record. They want to predict the weather better. I bet they will be predicting earthquakes within 20 years. Sometimes nessesity is the mother of invention. Laziness is the father of most inventions though.

If you seal the computer/pcb then there will be no moisture ingress, its just simple physics .VIR. Remember the triangle .. Reduce the resistance ,reduce the power etc..etc .dont use nitrogen try using a fridge circuit because then it is perpetual!! I.E it wont stop / equalise>>>like nitrogen would.
    j p g

I seem to remember an article where someone used a vapour compression system (Plate evap, naturally) to keep the CPU temp. down. I forget the exact figures, but the CPU ran hugely overclocked.
    Personally, I'd prefer to apply electrical refrigeration, i.e. Peltier effect.

I wonder if refrigerating a pelt wouldn't be the ideal mix?

Maximum PC has some good ideas about heat pipes for CPU's...water cooled. I thought they went to extremes! :-)

Originally posted by Gary
    I wonder if refrigerating a pelt wouldn't be the ideal mix?
    It sure gives good temps when combined w chilledwater at -20c and a 226w pelt under