Thread: P.C World

P.C World

Hi

Bought a Packard Bell from P.C. World 11.5 months later hard drive goes down,no problems send it back.I also had a loose power pin,which was not covered by warranty I asked if they could quote to repair it.Hoping that while they were changing the hard drive they would fix it.2.5 weeks later computer arrives back with a hole where the charging pin used to be and a quote for six hundred and fifty pounds for new mother board .I spoke to the store manger who shrugged his shoulders.Spoke to customer services who told me they probably remove it as it was a fire risk when being transported.Contacted citezens advice and sent a letter ref small claims court.In the end I needed my computer so I removed the charging socket from my torch and soldered it to the board as it was the same adaptor.Loaded up my hardrive sorted.NEVER USE PC WORLD.

Regards Bernard

Talking Re: P.C World

LOL.

I sit here now typing on the PC i built myself from component parts about 18 months ago bought from microdirect. it took about 2 or 3 hours to build and a couple of days to set up fully with broadband, personal software and updates etc. the spec is, intel pentium 4 3.02 ghz, 1024 ddr ram, 120 gig hd, sony dvd burner + - RW, 256 mb graphics { good spec card, geeforce i think}, 5.1 dig sound card, tower case and sundries. in short a very quick high spec gaming monster machine. the only drawback, despite a 12 month warranty on the parts, is there was no return to base policy as i built the system.
    This machine has never let me down because i chose good components and to cap it all it cost me around £500. similar spec unit from PC world at the time was £1100.
    the only thing i use PC world for is price comparisons.
    dont get me wrong, i am no whizz kid and do get stuck every now and again, but i know a lot of IT blokes who have air conditioned server rooms. they seem to be very helpful when i have problems, especially at this time of year.

The torch socket..... LOL .... Good repair, and where did they get £650 from?
    I was using soldering irons when i was 12 years old.
    MORONS.
    Takes a licking, keeps on ticking.

Re: P.C World

Quote Originally Posted by slingblade
    LOL.

I sit here now typing on the PC i built myself from component parts about 18 months ago bought from microdirect. it took about 20 or 30 hours to build and a couple of days to set up fully with broadband, personal software and updates etc.
    To tell you the truth I made a reall pigg's ear of it at first even though the the spec is, intel pentium 4 3.02 ghz, 1024 ddr ram, 120 gig hd, sony dvd burner + - RW, 256 mb graphics { good spec card, geeforce i think}, 5.1 dig sound card, tower case and sundries. in short a very quick high spec gaming monster machine. the only drawback, despite a 12 month warranty on the parts, is there was no return to base policy and it cost me a lot of time buggerin' about as i built the system myself and don't have a clue.
    This machine has never let me down because i chose good components and to cap it all it cost me around £500. similar spec unit from PC world at the time was £1100.

It's because I'm I think I'm so wonderful that people want to rush up to me in the street and just touch my clothes hoping for some of it to rub off on them.

the only thing i use PC world for is price comparisons.
    dont get me wrong, i am no whizz kid and do get stuck every now and again, but i know a lot of IT blokes who have air conditioned server rooms. they seem to be very helpful when i have problems, especially at this time of year.

The torch socket..... LOL .... Good repair, and where did they get £650 from?
    I was using soldering irons when i was 12 years old.
    MORONS.

Nuthin to it really....
    Sodd's the name...... Law's the game.
    Established 1791 - still going strong.

I have allways been aware of people rushing up and touching my clothes but unaware of the reason why. Thank you Mr Sodd for opening my eyes to this.

Sorry, please excuse my manners. thank you Sir Sodd.
    Takes a licking, keeps on ticking.

Bernard,

Just got my 3 month old compaq up and running after 5 weeks of pc world trying to get me a recovery CD.

It went wrong and wouldnt boot up 5 weeks ago, System restore wouldnt work so after speakin to pc world they said it needed a restore disc
    After 3 weeks and many phone calls later theyt decided to chase it up to find PC service call had lost order. Then waited another 2 weeks for one to come direct from HP.

Got disc yesterday, Wouldn't work. Took computer back to PC world and advised RAM stick ????? gone.
    Engineer took it out and left restore disc to run overnight as i waited 3 hours in the store yesterday and it still hadnt finished.
    Collected tower this morning, Service call coming out on thursday to fit new ram but at least i am now up and running. Only 2000 posts to look through

Regards

fatboy

Hi

Check your reciept as they only have a certain time to repair your equipment then they must legaly supply you with new, its about 5 weeks for a pc.I,m sure its on the back of your reciept.Or phone a store to check comet and currys apply the same rule.

Regards Bernrd

The "Original" fault was the system would not do a system restore and came up with something like "NLSDR is missing" Now don't ask me i am a fridge engineer, not a computer engineer but PC World said it's something to do with a damaged partition on the hard drive but it was a software fault and therefore not covered under warranty so basiclly "tough luck waiting for the software"

It wasnt until i tried to load the restore disc yesterday that the RAM board problem occured.

The trouble is PC world is the only place around here where you can walk in a just get a PC. Dell is OK if you a computer nerd and know exactly what does what and what you need, otherwise there is nowhere to go.

At least i am up and running now, another thing that PCW said, i may have picked something up on the internet. I have Norton Internet Security 2006 but recently most people i know are on Mcafee. Is this better, sure one anti-virus is the same as the other. they both do the same job dont they

Regards

fatboy

"NLSDR is missing"
    Are you sure it wasn't...NTLDR is missing?

I had this a while ago and sorted it with the help on this page...
    http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes...dr_missing.htm

All thats wrong is the 1st part of your hard drive got mixed up a little, you could sort it in about 5 mins.

Chillin
    IF AT FIRST YOU DON`T SUCCEED.
    DESTROY ALL EVIDENCE THAT YOU TRIED!
    and go get a cuppa

Hi Raymond

No matter what you pick up on the internet it won't cause a hard drive partion problem. That's a hardware problem and covered under warranty.

By the way, nice to see you back. How's the new job going? have you been working long days and short nights like the rest of us?

Hi Frank,

New job going great, Not spending all day on the phone to Daikin Anymore .

Doing a lot more hours (And Miles)
    Got to get the Nectar point up ready for Christmas

Regards

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by rdocwra View Post
    Dell is OK if you a computer nerd and know exactly what does what and what you need, otherwise there is nowhere to go.

nah, Dells aren't nerdy, they be simplton machines mostly