Hybrid View

Re: agriculture refrigeration application

For storage of fruits and vegetables temperature and humidity are the basic requirements. For a short time storage of seven days a temperature of 4 Deg. C will be allright. but the humidity has to be maintained a
    between 80 to 90 %. For a longer period a temperature of -1 to 0 Deg. C is advisable. It is very important that after the harvesting the products are pre cooled to remove the field heat. This has to be done at a temperature of -1 Deg. C with a RH of 90 to 95%. Air is a very important factor for agricultural produce storage or pre cooling.

With proper pre cooling the quality of the products remain as good as fresh. I have seen grapes after being pre cooled properly and under perfect conditions, remained as good as ever after 90 days stored in a temperature of 0 Deg. C.

Another point which I have noted that the moisture particles for maintaining the humidity should be as low as possible. I use adiabatic humidifiers which generates moisture particles as low as 3 microns. Most of the units has a moisture particles upto 15 microns, which causes water drops on the products which creates chill injury.

I personally would not reccommend evaporative cooling for a short time storage as you will not be able to control the temperature and the humidity.

Re: agriculture refrigeration application

Quote Originally Posted by Samarjit Sen View Post
    For storage of fruits and vegetables temperature and humidity are the basic requirements. For a short time storage of seven days a temperature of 4 Deg. C will be allright. but the humidity has to be maintained a
    between 80 to 90 %. For a longer period a temperature of -1 to 0 Deg. C is advisable. It is very important that after the harvesting the products are pre cooled to remove the field heat. This has to be done at a temperature of -1 Deg. C with a RH of 90 to 95%. Air is a very important factor for agricultural produce storage or pre cooling.
    The temperature & humidity depends on the particular product:

1) Banana - 56-59 F/90-95% RH
    2) Papaya - 45-55 F/85-90% RH
    3) Calabaza - 50-55 F/50-70% RH
    4) Chayote - 45 F/85-90% RH

Above data are from:
    Commercial Cooling of Fruits, Vegetables, & Flowers, Revised Edition
    University of California, Agricultural & Natural resources Publication 21567
    Last edited by Handyman-1; 17-11-2006 at 12:05 AM. Reason: add text