Hi folks,

I'm a chemist making a foray into uncharted waters here, trying to achieve greater cooling of system composed of the following:

a half gallon reactor which drains into a high shear mixer (the source of heat generation) after which the low viscosty alcohol based material which I am mixing is recirculated into the half gallon reactor. Currently, I have cooling water from the tap being directed to the mechanical seals of the mixer, as well as the jacket of the reactor. Additionally I have a small chiller set to -5 deg centigrade that is connected to a small (about 4 inches) condenser type heat exchanger (anybody familiar with laboratory chemistry will know the type, just a straight galss tube with a cooling jacket) on the return line to the reactor. I have been able to cool to 23 deg centigrade and my goal is to get to 15 deg centigrade. Unfortunately I am not able to greatly increase the surface area of the return line condenser without reducing flow and therefore mixing speed. I need to look at other ways to cool the system. Any suggestions?

Keith