Question Higher efficiency ac

Ever wonder what makes a 13 seer different from a 10 seer? I have-and what I've seen from my experience is a difference in the surface area of the coils. I saw a 10 seer Carrier side by side with a 13, used the same compressor, but the condenser was physically larger. Is that all it amounts to? If so, what are the limitations of compressor-to-condenser sizes, i.e., could you use a 3 ton compressor in a 5 ton condenser (for a 3 ton load), and expect a higher efficiency?

Re: Higher efficiency ac

Yes, the bigger the condenser, the higher efficiency expected, provivided SC is within manufacturer spec.

Hi Guys, would this same principal make an inverter twin split more efficient when only running one of the indoor units?

Quote Originally Posted by Stoofer
    Hi Guys, would this same principal make an inverter twin split more efficient when only running one of the indoor units?
    Yes and no the larger condenser would be good and the lower speed of the compressor should be more effecient, but that would depend on the compressor selection

Kind Regards Andy
    If you can't fix it leave it that no one else will:rolleyes:

You can't "only run one of the indoor units" on a twin split. You can on a multi system.

Sorry was meaning Multi split I've been looking at a few sysytems with the view of heating/cooling my conservatory and living room, anyone got views on these systems Mitsubishi SCM45ZD Vaillant V6-060 M2N and I belive Tosh now do a Daiseikai 2 though this maybe beyond my buget.

Sorry was meaning Multi split I've been looking at a few sysytems with the view of heating/cooling my conservatory and living room, anyone got views on these systems Mitsubishi SCM45ZD Vaillant V6-060 M2N and I belive Tosh now do a Daiseikai 2 though this maybe beyond my buget.
    The Daiseikai is the most effecient on the market at the moment The RAS 10 has a COP of 4.51

Shop about this is a domestic product and as such should be affordable, try another supplier

Kind Regards Andy

Cheers for the advice Andy that COP really appeals to a double tight Bas***d like me

Cheers for the advice Andy that COP really appeals to a double tight Bas***d like me
    No prob

just to note that COP is mid range, these units about 2.5kW in this case. Range is 0.5 to 3.5kW.

Try and select your unit at required duty in this sweet spot

Kind Regards Andy

Sorry to be a bit dense Andy , are you saying if my room requires 2.5kw of duty fit a 3.5kw unit and it will run more effiecently in it's mid range?

I should have the signature "If it's too hard i can't understand it"

I don't know if Andy meant this but selecting a larger indoor unit is mostly a good solution.

In a non-inverter situation, unit will evaporate higher, so COP will increase.

With an inverter, heatload can be 'absorbed' at a lower speed, so reducing noise. At partial load, compressor will run sooner on a lower speed increasing it's COP.

Also less wearing on the compressor bearings.

When I started many yeras ago, when we installed a Daikin, we allways ordered a bigger indoor size then the outdoor unit.

When is it not a good solution? For those who lives in very humid climates and need to dehumidificate a lot.
    Last edited by Peter_1; 23-07-2006 at 09:46 PM.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Cheer's for the explanation Pete, I'm gonna take Andy’s advice and shop around for a Daiseikai 2 to supply my living room and conservatory, the room unit will get much more use so I'll go for next size up now as dehumidifying isn't really necessary for me.

Cheer's for the explanation Pete, I'm gonna take Andy’s advice and shop around for a Daiseikai 2 to supply my living room and conservatory, the room unit will get much more use so I'll go for next size up now as dehumidifying isn't really necessary for me.
    With inverter units the book value at the greatest COP is the one to go for.

If your room needs 2.5kw a 2.5kW nominal inverter is the one to go for, it already has the over sized indoor, a the 2.5kW will do 3.5kW maximum

Kind Regards Andy

ok cheers for info guys.

When is it not a good solution, for those who lives in very humid climates and need to dehumidificate a lot.
    Use a two speed indoor fan and switch it to low when the humidity is high.
    "If Hannah was an air handler, I would be a condensing unit so I could open her TXV and pump my refrigerant through her coils." - a HVAC friend of mine