Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Life IS an imperfect science...Heck; I thought it was spring already, but it is still freezing outside...Can only take SO MUCH refrigeration per year!!

A freezer with the evaporator built into the shelves does not have self-defrost capability, nor does it need a drain. This design does not use an evaporator fan. This problem would not be caused by inadequate condensing nor would the door gasket be the problem unless the evaporator was frosted badly. I suspect that the system is overcharged and flooding the suction line causing frost near the compressor and water dripping on the floor. An overcharge would result in the freezer being unable to attain a low enough temperature to satisfy the cold control. Please check the box temperature. Is it merely below freezing or down to the set point ? It is not unusual for the manufacturer to make an error during production.

I don't post here much, but it looks to me that the problem is being over-engineered. Test the thermostadt switch. If it makes/breaks continuity around the middle setting on the dial, then simply open panel inside the freezer compartment to have a visual inspection of the evaporator. There is less guesswork involved this way. If it's iced over, then check the defrost timer, heater, and defrost thermostadt. A weak defrost thermostadt will shut off the defrost heater too early, too late, or not at all. Next is simply pour a large glass of warm water slowly on the evaporator and see if the drain allows the water to drain into the receiving pan. Lastly, even though the fan seems to be working, it could be turning slower than needed. You should be able to get a universal fan for about $10 (US) or so.

Simple is sometimes best. Eliminate the obvious and the problem should present itself.

Zolar

This is the reason why there is sooooo many mis-diagnoised faults....no one seems to be reading the posts fully.

The freezer is a basic unit with a tube evaporator ie. the evaporator is the shelving, it does not have a fan or a defrost heater or a timer, the condenser is a tube type and is fitted to the back of the cabinet and is cooled by gravity, no fan.

Without actually standing beside this cabinet one can only guess what the problem is, we have to work on the info we have, plus a little experience

So what have we got..... an old freezer that is not getting cold enough and is frosting on the suction pipe outside the cabinet.

My thoughts are:- the insulation of the cabinet is breaking down or the compressor is not pumping efficiently, both these faults will give the symptoms we have.

Nothing special all very basic really

Keep it cool

Could it be a restriction causing the same problems similar to that of a domestic refrigetator?

This has all been very interesting guys. There still is not enough information to solve the problem. Knowing the frost pattern on the evaporator verses the run time of compressor would help. The theory of overcharged at the factory, I have experienced myself. When did the problem start? If it is a sealed system problem its probably not worth fixing verses buying new system with warranty.

The unit is an older unit per the first thread so factory overcharge is very unlikely. I am inclined to agree with Mr. Cool... I think a technician would have to be on-site observing the unit and taking measurements in order to make an accurate diagnosis.

I guess I just like to kick on a dead horse...

By the way.... I'm back among the living.
    :D
    Dean
    Subzero*psia

Extinction is simply proof of failure to adapt.

This is the most expensive service call on a domestic freezer ever!

Many threads seem to suggest an insulation problem. Why would this cause the suction line to frost up?

I wish the original poster would let us know the outcome of this seemingly complex problem.

Gibson, maybe we should visit the jobsite as a group!
    Hey, I live about 15 miles South of Cornwall !

terry, personally I don't think it had to do with insulation. Oh, and you must mean 15 miles and a River! <p>I suspect that a lot of time and effort could have been saved with a recovery unit and a garbage truck! *LOL*

Talking

I tried to read all the replies but it wasnt too long since I got confussed.

1) FAULT Thermostat is a possibility, but usually thermostat is working or NOT working

2) There is a tiny hole on the refrigerant circuit. Freezer should operate longer hours to reject the heat (difficult to fix, costly)

3) Check the door insulation! If it is not proper + you set the freezer thermostat at max position then the prob is caused due to that reason

Good luck... at least you will become a friend with your freezer!

ending this thread

hi
    I am the instigator of this thread
    Thanks to all the advice and discussion.

I have not visited this thread for quite a while.
    I have read all the posts, now.

I got rid of the freezer at the dump.

So it is time to close this one down.

May I now direct you to may new post on car air-conditioning and types of gas I may use.

See " Air-conditioning"

Thanks again
    Chris

Chris

Sorry that the fridge got dumped, I was looking forward to a group coming over to Oz to sort this one out.

Gday mate

Originally posted by Aiyub
    Chris

Sorry that the fridge got dumped, I was looking forward to a group coming over to Oz to sort this one out.

Gday mate

Domestic fridge alas now not longer with us.

hi Aiyub,

Dash it all,
    I had not considered the possibility that qualified and experienced techies' from across the planet, would even consider a service call to Queensland, Australia, to sort out this up-right domestic freezer.

Nor did it occur to me that you guys might be considering holidaying in this sunburnt country, and that my place could be a stop- over.

I do apologise for dumping the item of such curiosity and intrigue and in the process destroying your excuse for a visit down under.

Chris

My freezer does just that for the first minute or so after compressor turns on and its practically brand new.

Compressor turns on. Suction line freezes up, it starts to melt after about a min... then condensation evaporates in a few minutes.

It works fine..

Oh and I hear "clunk clunk clunk" from the refrigerant lines somewhere.

It seems to work fine though...

Am I heading for trouble?
    Last edited by dude; 14-02-2004 at 08:41 PM.

Post pipe freezing just outside compressor

no

Re: pipe freezing just outside the compressor

just to put the cat amongst the pidgeons what about oil logged evap? I tend to lean towards slightly ineffiecent Comp (running 4hrs and only -15 in compartment)Need to fit bullet valve & gauges

Quote Originally Posted by coolkev
    just to put the cat amongst the pidgeons what about oil logged evap? I tend to lean towards slightly ineffiecent Comp (running 4hrs and only -15 in compartment)Need to fit bullet valve & gauges
    Oil logging is revealed by low evap approach coupled with normal to low superheat, with a few other things to be eliminated first. Of course, in this case the approach would be identical to the TD.

Given an accurate description and a full set of temperature measurements, troubleshooting is a piece of cake, even at a distance. Given insufficient information, it becomes a lot more difficult. We are reduced from knowing what's wrong to guessing what's wrong. Guessing is unprofessional.
    Last edited by Gary; 19-11-2004 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guestingmale
    hello all
    please advise me on:
    "Freezing pipe at compressor."

It is an older model domestic frezzer.

The door seal is suspect at the top hinge corner.
    Before purchasing a replacement seal, then finding out that it was a waste of money. I would like to narrow the odds of a succesfull fix.
    I would appreciate help.
    thanks
    freezing just outside compressor will hapen about 30seconds after start up but should disapear, if it persists it is overcharged but not enough to matter.
    wesmax
    Wes Maxfield

Quote Originally Posted by wesmax
    freezing just outside compressor will hapen about 30seconds after start up but should disapear, if it persists it is overcharged but not enough to matter.
    wesmax

Maybe and maybe.

fridgidman Guest

Check the fridge box door gasket entire circumference to see if it has a good tight seal, sounds like air may be escaping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12