Compressor for R290 rerigerant

Hi there, sorry to bother again. I've just seen a video on YT of a guy dismanteling his broken AC unit to repurpose its condensing unit for a R290 project. I was wondering if there could be dangers in doing so, other than the fact that the fan on a class A3 refrigerant unit should not provide sparks or ignition sources, if the pressure levels are fine, can it be used safely? I mean, it's just a pipe of copper with fins, why would it be different from other refrigerants?

Re: Compressor for R290 rerigerant

Ahhh damn, I was supposed to say "Condenser" in the title, not compressor. I know compressors are very specific on the type of refrigerant and should not be swapped.

You can as you said use it for any refrigerant... mith the correct oil, compressor can run mostly on R290 as long as you do not overload the compressor motor ... a compressor is in fact just a simple gaspump
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

The copper condenser coil from an AC unit should be fine to use with R290. Just remember to leak check it, and maybe blow it through with nitrogen to try and get out any old oil.
    Last edited by seanf; 24-04-2023 at 09:55 PM.
    Interested to hear about opportunities to learn - linkedin.com/in/s34nf

Blog Entries

Anyone who does some work on A type refrigerants should consider what are liabilities connected with that!
    Just my opinion on matter!