Unhappy Condenser inlet is too big?

Hello! I've noticed my 350W condenser have huge inlet, like 8mm OD. I cannot fit 8mm and I don't dare swaging it because the thickness appears to be already too thin, even if the thing is rated for 300+ PSI. I think I'm supposed to fit the 5mm OD tube because it's the correct size for the compressor's discharge but how am I going to fit a 5mm OD in that huge inlet? I would have to put a lot of brazing, but wouldn't it make for a weak joint? I thought I studied that the gap must not be too wide, just enough to have a capillary effect that coats the inside of the joint. So what gives?

Schermata del 2023-03-31 19-51-33.png
    Schermata del 2023-03-31 19-51-20.png

Re: Condenser inlet is too big?

A reducer, if you can get one that goes from 8 to 5 mm. Have one made?

Make your own reducer with a series short length of pipe increasing/decreasing in diameter, expanding the pipe if needed or to try and reduce the number of steps.

Or a rough method, crimp the edge of the 8mm pipe at one point around the 5mm pipe. Probably want to heat the 8mm pipe up first though.

I guess it depends on if it needs to look good or if its just an experiment.
    Last edited by seanf; 31-03-2023 at 07:19 PM.
    Interested to hear about opportunities to learn - linkedin.com/in/s34nf

Sorry I was being an idiot. Actually if I push a little the 8mm does fit pretty snuggly. No swedging required

You are right that the gap should not be too wide. However, you can bridge the gap between the 8mm OD tube and the 5mm OD tube with a reducer fitting. This would allow you to make a secure connection without risking weakening the joint. Additionally, you may need to apply flux to ensure that the brazing process properly seals the joint. How to make a chat app 1. Choose a platform: Decide what platform you want to use to create your chat app, such as Android, iOS, or web. 2. Design the user interface: Create a user interface for your chat app that is easy to use and intuitive. 3. Choose a messaging protocol: Select a messaging protocol such as XMPP or WebSocket to enable communication between users. 4. Implement the backend: Create a backend for your chat app that handles authentication, user management, and messages. 5. Add features: Add features such as chat rooms, file sharing, and notifications to make your chat app more interactive and engaging. 6. Test and deploy: Test your chat app thoroughly and deploy it to a hosting provider.
    Last edited by Huston; 26-04-2023 at 09:11 PM.

Hi Houston, thanks for your reply. I believe some brazing rods have the flux around them, expecially the high silver content ones used in refrigeration, am I correct?

Your acid flux will enter inside the tubes contaminating the refrigerant... use silphos rods.
    Cut a small end pipe as in your 1st picture, insert it in the condenser and the insert your 2nd smaller pipe in this small end.
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.