Oil cooling circuit on Danfoss compressors?

I have recovered several Danfoss SC series compressors and notice they all have two ports for an oil cooling mechanism and am wondering how it pumps the oil, do I need a separate pump or does it use vapour pressure? How does it all work?

Does any one have an internal pic or diagram?

The particular system I'm interested in is the Danfoss SC12B

Re: Oil cooling circuit on Danfoss compressors?

Does this help?
    Bruno
    Attached Files Attached Files

hi matey, its just a coil of pipe looping low down in the oil, its a oil cooler, its normaly used about half way through the condenser circuit, ie,the discharge goes to the top of the condenser, down about half way,leaves it and connects to the oil cooler and out again to the condenser again ,then to the drier, hope this crude explanation helps !!

Ah K yes that PDF helped lots. So it is a totally isolated circuit from the rest of the compressor! so I could run water to cool the oil? Or cool out side oil and use a circulator pump?

yes.
    You can also apply fan cooling:
    if Tamb=32°C : 1,5m/s air over compressor
    if Tamb=43°C : 3 m/s air over compressor

Cooling the oil directly will have a fare more efficiency then cooling the shell me thinks.

What if I blead off a very small amount of liquid refrigerant into the Cooling loop and made the condencer slightely over sized to handle the added load? will the added cooling help the compressores life?

We use the SC series compressors alot at my work but they do not have the oil cooling circuit intergrated, we have forced draught condensors next to the compressor. These compressors are mostly used within the domestic refrigeration, where convection condensor coils are used. I would guess that the compressor doesn't get much air flow over it so the addition of the oil cooler would just help to keep the compressor a little bit cooler. To be perfectly honest I would'nt bother about the modification, maybe just add a small fan to run when the unit comes online?

lol, this is a custome built system, I'm calling all the design peramiters!, I think it will be a good thing to impliment, it will have long duty cycles so it may be of advantage to have the extra cooling for it, the exact unit is an SC12B W/Oil cooler

Quote Originally Posted by The MG Pony
    What if I blead off a very small amount of liquid refrigerant into the Cooling loop and made the condencer slightely over sized to handle the added load? will the added cooling help the compressores life?
    This seems to be a good idea and I do not see any technical here. Has any one tried this ??

Quote Originally Posted by Actinide
    We use the SC series compressors alot at my work but they do not have the oil cooling circuit intergrated, we have forced draught condensors next to the compressor. These compressors are mostly used within the domestic refrigeration, where convection condensor coils are used. I would guess that the compressor doesn't get much air flow over it so the addition of the oil cooler would just help to keep the compressor a little bit cooler. To be perfectly honest I would'nt bother about the modification, maybe just add a small fan to run when the unit comes online?
    A fan will surely help, but when compressor specification permits oil cooling, a fan will be an unnecessary cost to the unit. My experience is - oil cooling will surely be more economical

Sounds like a good idea to me.
    I have a question to you about the oil? Do you know what the operating temp is of the oil? Is there a operating temp it must stay at to perform to design spec's? Lastly at what internal temp do most compressors run ?
    Thanks Tom

Amable Guest

That type of oil uses the SC12B DANFOSS?

r507 Guest

The way I'm looking at the PDF is that the discharge line goes through the tubing immersed in oil.

Ik heb geen data van deze compressoren maar het lijkt mij onwaarschijnlijk om olie te koelen met persgassen op relatief hoge temperatuur.
    Daar het hier om diepvries compressoren gaat zijn de zuiggastemperaturen al laag genoeg om ***** te laten mengen met de olie. Smeerproblemen
    Bij andere compressoren verwarmen we juist de olie om menging met ***** tegen te gaan en ik denk bij deze ook.

Ben ik fout laat het weten via een link naar compressor data, of via wat meer uitleg.

Groeten voor iedereen Willy

Vertaling van het Nederlands in het Engels

I have no data for this compressor but it seems unlikely for oil cooling with compressed gases at relatively high temperatures.
    Since these are frozen, the suction gas compressors are already low enough ***** to mix with oil. Lubrication Problems
    Other compressors we just heat the oil to mix with ***** counter and I think at this too.

Am I wrong let us know via a link to data compressor, or some more explanation.

Greetings to everyone Willy