Hybrid View

Re: Auto AC cross charged TXV, why different SH vs P curves?

Toyota Prius went from a small clutch equipped scroll to a way larger hermetic electric comp between 03 and 04 MY's.
    Accordingly, the cross charged TXV got replaced to one featuring greater mass flow rate.

I can see the larger compressor capacity and the fact it won't cycle anymore (so way more time steady @ part load where the more the evaporator surface being used, the better it is) as the factors here.

TGK seems to have filed a patent for a TXV that basically gives 10K "hot" mass flow rate at high heat load and 5K "hot" like mass flow rate at low heat load thanks to a bimetal spring. See patent JP2010112616A for more info.
    I seem to understand they basically want to achieve fast pulldown and stable variable compressor operation/better cooling capacity at the same time.

About liquid getting into the comp, it seems it's a deliberate choice to flood the evap at low heat loads.

Number of reasons, mainly oil return, hunting at low heat loads with variable compressors and frost prevention.
    Generally speaking designers want the automotive TXV to act more like an AXV once the evaporator is about to freeze up by keeping it slightly open and ensuring a minimum flow at all times.

There always seems to be some suction superheat, for one i'm sure i have such a TXV and a variable displacement compressor on my own car but never ever seen frost anywhere, be it on the entire suction line or TXV. Even on a fully charged system.

See patents US4632305, US20050066674A1 and US4979372 for more info.
    Last edited by AliXV; 14-03-2022 at 06:08 PM.