Conversion from ton's to Kw

Im trying to size a Job in New York for a client but finding it difficult to convert. We have three treatment rooms all sized at 5Kw, we have two medical rooms all sized at 1.2Kw and a sales area sized at 5.7Kw. The landlord has said they provide a cooling provision of 200 sg-ft/ton. The medical rooms and the sales area are calculated at 120w/m2. In order to cool the treatment sufficiently we install 5Kw units, they are way over sized for the area but the cool the room sufficiently as the have a laser machine in each room which omits a huge amount of heat. Can anyone work out for me what sg-ft/ton I need to go back to the landlord with based on what my clients cooling loads are? much appreciated any help.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Conversion from ton's to Kw

Without having the size of the rooms are it is a bit tricky to answer.

P(kW) = P(RT) x 3.5168525
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    Without having the size of the rooms are it is a bit tricky to answer.

P(kW) = P(RT) x 3.5168525
    Thanks Brian, All of the areas area in square feet as it's in NY. The room sizes are as follows Sales 515sqft (47.8m2) Medical room is 112sqft (10.4m2) Treatment room room is 112sqft (10.4m2). There are 3no treatment rooms and 2no medical rooms. The landlord came back saying they have a cooling provision of 200 sg-ft/ton. We install 5Kw units in the treatrooms. So I need to go back to the landlord and say X is the cooling provision that we require in sg-ft/ton.

We need 23.1Kw based on 3no treatment rooms at @ 5Kw each, a sales area @ 5.7kw and 2no x medical rooms @ 1.2Kw each, but I cant figure out what sg-ft/ton value that will relate to?
    Can you calculate that, appreciate the help.

So, are you designing the cooling load and taking responsibility for the system working or designing to the clients recommendations of 200ft2​/Ton Refrigeration?

Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    So, are you designing the cooling load and taking responsibility for the system working or designing to the clients recommendations of 200ft2​/Ton Refrigeration?
    I want to go back to the landlord and tell him theses are our cooling requirements but i'm finding it difficult to convert what I usually size in 120W/m2 not counting the treatment rooms ( as they are oversized to accommodate the laser machines) to ft2​/Ton

As I had said we install 5Kw units into a 10.4m2 room as the heat given off from the laser machines is excessive. So I need to be able to go back to the landlord and say we need a (X)ft2​/Ton cooling provision for 3 treatment rooms as I'm sure the 200ft2​/Ton is perfect for normal working conditions. Thanks Frank, much appreciated if you can work out the figure for me.

I think the landlord made a typo in his 200 sg-ft/ton.. It possibly should be .200 sq-ft/ton, hopefully he did as this is what's throwing me.

This is my calculation, Treatment room 5kw = 1.42ton to = 0.146297 ton per square foot.

As Brian noted above....there are 3.5kW per ton of refrigeration so all you need to do is use this figure in your calculation

Blog Entries

Hi
    In the internet you can find load calculation
    For example
    Cooling load Calculator &
    Refrigeration & ACs: HVAC

In very brief
    For every M2 = 400 BTU up to 500 BTU
    12000 BTU = 1 TON

Thanks Brian

Thanks MBC, this is why I'm convinced there was a typo in their cooling allowance which threw me. Appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Kayzer View Post
    I think the landlord made a typo in his 200 sg-ft/ton.. It possibly should be .200 sq-ft/ton, hopefully he did as this is what's throwing me.

This is my calculation, Treatment room 5kw = 1.42ton to = 0.146297 ton per square foot.
    So, Cooling load = 5kW

Convert to Ton Refrigeration = 5/3.5 = 1.428TR

Treatment Room = 112Ft2

1.428/112 = 0.0127 TR/Ft2