Pressure testing large installation R410

Hi all,

I could use some advice regarding strength and leak pressure on larger R410 installations.
    Do you conform to some kind of standard for such matter, such as EN 378-2 or any other standard?

Do you do a strength test or just a leak pressure test? Also, Since R410A works on high pressures, did you have any problems with some of the valves failing during tests on high pressure?

Since I am new to the industry, it is hard to tell what is the best practice around.

Have a nice day

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Pressure testing large installation R410

The size of the installation should have no bearing on the requirements for strength and leak testing.

These are standards laid down by your countries testing standards and also in most manufacturers installation instructions.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Hi Brian

of course. As far as I know, the only document which states pressures and time for testing is EN 378-2. However, I am not sure do testing engineers in reality really conform to that. However, for some installations, there were different proposed procedures (such as only testing for working range, and not for maximum allowable pressure) What is the right approach for these situations.

From my understanding of EN 378-2, a strength pressure test should be done on 1.1 x Max Allowable Pressure for short time (15 mins), which is then lowered to 1 x Max Allowable Pressure for a longer time to verify that installation is not leaking. Is that a typical procedure for R410A?

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

That's correct, test pressures as required, dare I say, by law are the ones used by all responsible trained technicians.
    Retired March 2015

Hi Brian,
    Can you explain about installation little briefly!

Quote Originally Posted by John Alex View Post
    Hi Brian,
    Can you explain about installation little briefly!
    Simply follow the manufacturers installation instructions in accordance with your training and local regulations.

Include your client so that they are aware of where and how the system will be installed.
    Retired March 2015

Hi, tubeside

Quote Originally Posted by tubeside View Post
    Hi all,

I could use some advice regarding strength and leak pressure on larger R410 installations.
    Do you conform to some kind of standard for such matter, such as EN 378-2 or any other standard?

Do you do a strength test or just a leak pressure test? Also, Since R410A works on high pressures, did you have any problems with some of the valves failing during tests on high pressure?

Since I am new to the industry, it is hard to tell what is the best practice around.

Have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by tubeside View Post
    Hi Brian

of course. As far as I know, the only document which states pressures and time for testing is EN 378-2. However, I am not sure do testing engineers in reality really conform to that. However, for some installations, there were different proposed procedures (such as only testing for working range, and not for maximum allowable pressure) What is the right approach for these situations.

From my understanding of EN 378-2, a strength pressure test should be done on 1.1 x Max Allowable Pressure for short time (15 mins), which is then lowered to 1 x Max Allowable Pressure for a longer time to verify that installation is not leaking. Is that a typical procedure for R410A?

As far as I know, complete leak test procedure (with gas - N2 (OFN), pressures and time) must be described within project documentation by project-design engineer following all local and international standards related to refrigerant and pressure used.

Generally ... sometimes leak test for low pressure side must be done separately from high pressure side because equipment has different maximum allowable working pressures .....

Procedures generally are the same for all refrigerants i.e. refrigeration plants.

Anyhow here is a link to some document where you can find some more info, hope to be helpful for you ...

https://www.coolconcerns.co.uk/image...re_testing.pdf

Of course, we are here for any additional help or advice you need

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.