Old single phase ice cream batch freezer needs gas

Hi everyone , i have a bit of a problem i was hoping to get some help with . I have an old batch freezer which has been in use for many years , it was last recharged about 6 years ago , and since then has not been a problem until now . I live on a remote Scottish island and the only refrigeration engineer sadly died 2 years ago .
    Before he died he had serviced the machine and we also would get some help from the engineers visiting the local supermarket for breakdowns , unfortunately the supermarket invested in some brand new freezers and now the engineers don’t need to come over.
    The machine has stopped freezing and there are no bubbles in the little glass viewing window , the compressor comes on briefly and then shuts down , the alarm is sounding and the solenoid appears to work ( i fitted a new one just in case ) . I can only think it needs a gas , i have the gas , i bought a set of gauges from eBay and i was hoping to try filling it myself .
    I know i have to weigh the tank of gas first , then check the machine for how much I should fill it with , I just don’t remember where he used to attach the hoses too . I should have paid more attention .
    Really i just want to know if there is a way for me to fill this without an engineer or does anyone here know of any engineers in the outer Hebrides that could come to Isle of Barra to help or want a free holiday on Barra in return for help , we will pay well too . Failing this is will need to buy a new machine so any help would be appreciated .
    Regards

Helen McClymont

Re: Old single phase ice cream batch freezer needs gas

Hello Helen and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your dilemma and the sad passing of a brother engineer.

I visited the Isle of Harris gin distillery to carry out a small job in 2019 and the cost to the client just for travel, wages and accomodation was quite high. I don't know how much a batch ice creme freezer would be new but if it's less than £2000 then that may be your best option.

The bubbles in the sight glass won't show if your compressor doesn't keep running. My guess is that the Low Pressure switch cuts in. If, as you suspect, that the machine has lost it's gas charge and needs re-charging, it is no good just putting new gas in. To comply with the law, the system needs to be recovered, pressure tested and any leak repaired before it can be re-charged. Also, this work must be carried out by a suitably qualified tradesman who has been F-gas certified.

20161019_084009.jpg

Isle of Harris Gin Distillery
    Attached Images Attached Images

The companies on the west coast I know of are,

Forteith Refrigeration & Heat Pump Solution based in Oban. As far as I know they are still doing some fridge work and traveling to the islands.

and

KS Refrigeration based in Ballachulish. I assume they still travel to the islands.

and

There was also a guy who worked as the maintenance man at the Western Isles Hotel in Tobermory, Mull. He seemed to dabbled in a bit of fridge work on Mull at least, but hes probably retired.
    Last edited by seanf; 05-07-2021 at 07:41 PM.

Hi Frank
    Thank you for your reply . The new machine is around £36,000 for the same spec , I was quoted £3500 plus Vat 5 yrs ago to have the machine changed to ‘legal’ gas . I was considering it but they said it would take up to 3 months to get it back . Old Don decided he would just top up the gas and he said it didn’t need changed to the new gas .
    We really need one of you engineers to retire to Barra or Uist , you would be kept busy lol .

Thank you again
    Helen

Hi Sean
    Thank you for your reply , i will give the place in Oban a try , perhaps i could take the machine out to them . I have two vans on the ferry every week so if they are ok then that could work .
    I will also drop KS an email too see if they have any engineers coming to uist soon .
    Thanks again
    Helen

You could also try asking one of the Calmac engineers who their using for their fridge work.
    Last edited by seanf; 06-07-2021 at 08:59 PM.