Question Is this an inverter compressor?

Hello folks,

I am not in the refrigeration profession and need help in determining the kind of refrigerator I purchased.

I bought this generic China-made French Door refrigerator (Hisense), which was listed as having an inverter compressor on Amazon. There is no mention of the word 'inverter' on the packaging or the fridge itself. Even the user manual completely avoids talking about the compressor type.

I Googled the compressor model and some identifying information printed on the logic board but I couldn't find any convincing info. I checked the power consumption with an energy meter and the refrigerator gradually consumes power starting from 1 watt upto 300 watts (2.5 kWh per day). There are no abrupt power spikes.

I called up Hisense customer support several times and they are avoiding answering my compressor query, citing lack of technical staff due to Covid19 lockdown. I emailed to Chinese headquarters, messaged them on Twitter. Got no response, even though both the local and Chinese HQs are tweeting regularly.

Can somebody please take a look at the attached pictures of compressor and the logic board and figure out if it's an inverter compressor?

Compressor Label: JiaXipera NB1116Y 240 Volts AC, 50 Hz
    Motor type: RSCR (found from Google)

Text on logic board:
    HODGEN 20.22.440.20.05.04
    BCD-440WYDR/HC4(HAH1)

Thank you guys in advance for providing any insight and reading this long message!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (94.5 KB, 17 views)
    • File Type: jpg 22.jpg (100.7 KB, 14 views)
    Last edited by kettle; 13-06-2021 at 11:40 PM.

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Is this an inverter compressor?

With an RSCR, resistor start, capacitor run, motor I would say probably not an inverter compressor as it needs to be a 3 phase device.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

I agree with Brian that that compressor is not the type that you would use for an invertor.

What might be the case though is the fan on the inside of the fridge might be invertor controlled.

It is possible that the compressor has some fancy electronics that "soft start" it. This is a way to smooth
    the initial start up currents and prevents the high amps that are associated with starting tradition direct on line
    motors and in-conjunction with that the fan motor inside the fridge could be inverter driven and that
    will allow it to speed up and slow down as required to maintain constant temperatures inside the fridge.

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

It doesn't look like an inverter model to me.

I recently changed an inverter model on a badged Hisense double door. Here's a link to the thread http://www.refrigeration-engineer.co...ompressor-help

As you can see, the inverter board fits directly onto the side of the compressor, which, as Brian says, is a 400v model.