Dual Scroll Compressor

Hi, everybody! Does anyone know about the dual scroll compressor of copeland? It may be a new tech of compressor. what's the advantage of it?? any reply is appreciated.

Re: Dual Scroll Compressor

Quote Originally Posted by ernestlin
    Hi, everybody! Does anyone know about the dual scroll compressor of copeland? It may be a new tech of compressor. what's the advantage of it?? any reply is appreciated.
    Capacity control and part load effeciency. Say on a water chiller you switch off one compressor as you approach the cutout temperature, the remaining compressor will then run on a larger evaporator and condenser, with an increased effeciency.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards Andy
    If you can't fix it leave it that no one else will:rolleyes:

Thanks, andy. it's helpful. As I know the dual scroll compressor have the higher EER comparing with normal one, and it may be more silence because of the equilibrium of moments(like the twin rotary compressor).what's ur opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by ernestlin
    Thanks, andy. it's helpful. As I know the dual scroll compressor have the higher EER comparing with normal one, and it may be more silence because of the equilibrium of moments(like the twin rotary compressor).what's ur opinion?
    twin scrolls are just two compressors with common pipes, so there is no opposing forces to balance out. So no they are not quieter.

Kind Regards Andy
    If you can't fix it leave it that no one else will:rolleyes:

If anything, multiple compressors rotating in the same direction at the same operating condition can amplify vibrations or noise.

It may not be noticeable on a scroll compressor unless you check this with accelerometers.

On large recip. compressors it can be quite noticeable.

thank you, Andy, US Iceman. I appreciated your points. but the dual scoll just is a horizontal compressor which have two scroll sets mounted at each end of the central motor.So, it's lower sound than normal scroll compressor, I think the scroll sets may rotate in different direction. you can get the infromation from ecopeland's website.

Best regards!
    ernest

for your ref

Home
    Dual Scroll - the solution for large air conditioning systems
    After the successful introduction of the large commercial scroll range (20 to 30 hp), Copeland again is setting the standard with the launch of the new Dual Scroll compressor for 50 & 60 hp in single and 100/110/120 hp in Tandem applications. This innovative compressor is designed for application in chiller, rooftop and custom engineered systems.

The new Dual Scroll is leveraging all the best of Copeland's compressor technologies: low sound semi-hermetic design, scroll efficiency and reliability, capacity modulation and electronic protection. It has an innovative compressor design, featuring a horizontal semi-hermetic type body with a scroll set mounted at each end of the central motor.

Electronic diagnostic and protection :
    An advanced electronic diagnostics and protection module is provided with the Dual Scroll. Data are acquired from one oil pressure sensor, six temperature sensors within the motor windings, and two discharge temperature sensors - one for each scroll set. The Compressor Alert™ module provides advanced warning, tripping and lockout facilities, depending on the level and repetition pattern of the fault, and information can be transmitted to the unit controller.

For large systems up to 340 kW per circuit :
    Dual Scroll compressors will allow OEMs to further extend the use of scroll in single and tandem applications up to 120 hp (340 kW) per circuit. Equipment manufacturers and end-users will appreciate the high efficiency, unsurpassed reliability and lower applied cost of Copeland Scroll™ versus more traditional screw technology.

Higher system efficiency with Dual Scroll :
    The air conditioning commercial market has traditionally been very demanding regarding system efficiency, and today's availability of large scroll paralleling uniquely satisfies this requirement with very high levels of efficiency both at full and part load conditions. With scroll paralleling, OEMs can also benefit from a modular system approach, thus reducing design time while increasing standards in manufacturing.

Production in Europe :
    The new Dual Scroll compressor is produced in Welkenraedt, Belgium. This plant is already serving Europe with all Copeland Scroll compressors from 7.5 hp to 30 hp.
    Last edited by Lc_shi; 10-04-2007 at 09:39 AM.
    I hear...I forget;I see...I remember;I do...I understand

tks, Mr. Shi, , that's it. I hear this product is propagandizing in china, then there will have some thematic meetings.