VRV master and slave

Hi Guys,

im new here and just want a bit more knowledge on a VRV slave and master system and why they are needed. what does the master system do? what does the slave do? can you just have the master? if there is any documents that are available id welcome any links thanks.

Im starting my journey on hopefully becoming an HVAC engineer and just want to have a better understanding of things i may come in to contact with.

thanks
    Trent

Re: VRV master and slave

Hi Trent and welcome to the forum. If you use the 'Search' function above, there is lots of useful information on here that will help your journey into the HVAC trade.

The term 'Master' and 'Slave' relate to when 2 units with independant control systems are wired or piped to act as 1 system. Instructions from the controller or building management system (BMS) are then recieved by 1 unit which acts as the 'Master' and instructs the 'Slave' accordingly. This prevents different signals or instructions being given to each unit which could create conflicts.

2 or more A/C condensing units on a VRV/VRF system are wired and piped up together when the total cooling/heating requirement is greater than that capable by a single unit. For instance, when 18hp is required to satisfy the building load, but the largest single outdoor unit is rated at 16hp, the problem is solved by using a 10hp and an 8hp together to equal 18hp.

Here is a link to a Youtube guy who teaches newbies and explains quite a few topics that you will need to understand if you are keen to learn the trade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQv7...lH5jtd3I5lfWHo

Re: VRV master and slave

thanks very much for your reply Frank. I'll defo check out the link and use the search bar on this site going forward