beer_is_braw Guest

what should i know within a year?

i have been working for a company as a trainee refrigeration /air conditioning engineer for a year now, have been on installs for most of that time, not done much brazing or technical side on these installs. can anyone tell me how much i should have learned in a year? seems i am doin much the same as a labourer in the company, who is getting paid a good deal more than me. am i better off looking for another company to train with? at the moment i feel that engineers i am working with will not let me do stuff i am more than capable of doing. i feel that i am being used to a certain extent, when all i want is to learn. before i was an electronics/hydraulics test engineer so i know i can cope with the learning required.

thanks for your suggestions and advice

Re: what should i know within a year?

Quote Originally Posted by beer_is_braw
    i have been working for a company as a trainee refrigeration /air conditioning engineer for a year now, have been on installs for most of that time, not done much brazing or technical side on these installs. can anyone tell me how much i should have learned in a year? seems i am doin much the same as a labourer in the company, who is getting paid a good deal more than me. am i better off looking for another company to train with? at the moment i feel that engineers i am working with will not let me do stuff i am more than capable of doing. i feel that i am being used to a certain extent, when all i want is to learn. before i was an electronics/hydraulics test engineer so i know i can cope with the learning required.

thanks for your suggestions and advice
    All I can tell you is that I went to a training center, spent 9 months there, practical and theory. After which I went to work with a contractor. in a few months I was out in a van servicing on my own and on standby, all less than a year from starting my training, with no previous experience in engineering.

Kind Regards Andy
    If you can't fix it leave it that no one else will:rolleyes:

Beer, why don't you go the extra mile and stay late on a job to assist in the commissioning... or show up early, or skip a break and lunch. Find a mentor. The best mentors are people only slightly ahead of you in learning. They will be patient with your questions.

And when you are finished with an assignment with no further instructions, grab a broom and sweep the floor until you get additional instructions.

Dan
    That is a bit of sound advice for any new comer in any profession.

beer_is_braw Guest

dan, cant stay late on job as site closes at 430

no need to grab a broom as site has labourers who do that and they object if anyone else does what they see as "their job"

engineer i;m with answers all my questions as best as he can, worked through lunch a few times to get things done.

work has been saying i will be put on service for about 6 months now, so far this hasnt happened, i would love to learn the service side of things given the opportunity

i have read some good books, but nothing beats learning practically

Mate been in this game over fourteen year and this is the standard bane of every first year.

Your bored you want to get stuck in and do it all.

This trade takes time stick with it ask the right questions and they will be answered.

You will only start to learn when the boss turns around one day and says mate go and sort out this problem thats when the real fun begins.

Quote Originally Posted by beer_is_braw
    i have read some good books, but nothing beats learning practically
    Reading is a good solution as it will open up doors to many questions. Don't just read books, also review manufacturers literature for their products. Again, you will end up with more questions.

But then, you also learn by asking and getting good answers.

Impatience is one of the biggest hurdles to jump. Don't get discouraged after the first year. You will always have questions and continue to learn. I've been in the business for about 35 years and I continue to learn almost every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger 05
    You will only start to learn when the boss turns around one day and says mate go and sort out this problem that's when the real fun begins.
    There is nothing that will replace getting your hands dirty. This is when the fun really starts.

And also to add on to Dan's comments... An eager learner and one who is willing to do additional tasks is the one who gets noticed.

I would like to emphasize one important item I believe is necessary... Learn the basics properly, so you don't have to unlearn some of the crap you will hear along the journey.

beer_is_braw Guest

thx for the advice, boss is trying to get me out with a service engineer so i can learn more about that side and hopefully get out on my own when i;m confident enough with what i;ve learnt, but site commitments mean i am stuck there for time being.
    having been an engineer in electronics i know that this is when the "real" learniing starts
    thx again

Mate, I am 4th year Refrigeration Mechanic / Post-Mix Technican. I definately know what it feels like to be in your situation. But when you know whats going on at a installation go ahead and take the bull by the horns, dont sit back and get told what to do. Act like the lead guy, tell your other guys what to do, what you recommend and trust me they will see that you have the drive / self-esteem and passion for the job. Give it a try you'll be suprised. "All the best"