Thread: Chiller Carrier

Chiller Carrier

Can someone tell me from where I can obtain the technical manual/electrical for this chiller - 30GH030 - 710AEE and the overhaul manual for it's compressor 06E 6275 RA 610A EE.

Take a look at www.global.carrier.com on their technical section

Frank

Thanks

I have a problem with this chiller - I need to see if the compressor windings are burnt or a mechanical failure.

The compressor system is without an overload and the probability is that there are no internal thermistors .

Winding, is part winding and too ground I have 3 mega ohms while between each winding A & B I do have 0.13 Mega ohm. the problem is, a burn-out ,mechanical failure or a contaminated area within the oil etc,at least before I will dismantle the compressor.

My experiance is on Trane centrifugal units although I worked on reciprocating compressors a few years ago.

Any comments

victor

Victor

You should never mega a motor between windings! but should always mega between winding and earth. If you have a reading of 0.5mohm and above then, according to british regs the resistance to earth is acceptable, however, all of the people I know work to a resistance of at least 1m ohm. Anything less and we usually condem the motor. With a resistance of 3m ohm to earth your motor would appear to be OK as far as the winding insulation is concerned and more investigation is required to locate the problem.

Frank

Thank you

The 0.13 M ohm is between:see attachment

point 8 & 2
    point 7 & 1
    Point 3 & 9

3.5 Mohm is between any point too earth

Any comments are welcomed

Victor

Victor

Question

Victor - I'm not sure where to find the attachment. Can you point me in the right direction?

Frank

I cannot find a way to attach the document.

thank you

Exclamation

Maybe one of the Moderators can show us 'new starters' how to attach documents

In your "post reply" section , scroll down and you will see the ATTACH FILE option, beneath OPTIONS.
    Select the file from your hard drive.

Browsing this through thread, I think there is a bit of confusion. The information I believe is contained within the Carrier pages, not within an attached file on this forum.

I visited the Carrier site, and found no technical info.....

Regards

What are the symtoms of the compressor failure? Is running at all? Is it noisy when it runs? Is it tripping the breaker or blowing fuses? Can you read the current draw when it does?

If it's a part winding start, is there a delay between the contactors pulling in? Is it about 1 second?

To check the motor windings use an ohm meter on a low scale.
    From my experience, depending on the voltage, you should end up reading the same across all motor windings. Here, the readings would be about one ohm or less across each of them.

Talking Re: Chiller Carrier

How have you tested the motor? did u test it with all the windings connected to the contactor? you should disconnect all the cables at the compressor before testing it for burn out. you should use your multi meter for testing between the windings - expect 0.8-2 ohms (ish) for between each part wind section (3 terminals each) you should then check between each terminal and a ground (cpc/earth) point, as before anything less than say 1M ohm (tho i would be worried if it was 2M or less). you could also test the contactor for continuity, disconnect the cabes to the compressor and allow the contactor to be activated by the controller and check that the correct voltage is present. Also did you check the incoming voltage? have yo lost a phase? or is there one slightly down not allowin the motor to spin?!?!

Wink Re: Chiller Carrier

The 06E is carriers "bread and butter" recip..it should present you with few problems..personally I use a megger at 500 volts to earth to check the motor terminals....if that is ok you can get a rough balance check(though not as accurate as a purpose made balance tester) by using the same megger set to ohmsX1 which should be about 5 volts....check each half of the partwind motor between each of its three terminals....they would normally give you a reading that is around 0.8 or 0.9 and would be balanced....if there are service valves fitted to the compressor then you can use the backseat port to evacuate the gas....then remove the square plate from the end of the oil pump...inside is a cup and spring underneath which is a small cam plate held by two dissimilar sized allen screws..you should be able to turn the compressor over using an allen key in the larger of the screw heads....as this compressor has no side access plates it is possible to get a "rough" idea of the condition of the small and big ends by removing the heads ...turning over the compressor and giving a sharp push on the top of each piston as it is on its downward stroke...if there is major wear you will feel it ..if you have further problems I am happy to assist....best of luck...I have stripped and repaired a few hundred of these over the years....they are a simple compressor but need inverting to get to the big ends...crank removal etc...