Thread: R290?

R290?

Our company has taken on a contract and i am coming across a few cabinets that operate on R290 some on
    R290 with a R404A compressor.

Is it worthwhile getting trained to work with this refrigerant as i've been told to stay away from it?

Can it be vented off or does it have to be reclaimed?

Does an R290 system only run with R290 gas when the comp states R404A?

Many thanks.

Re: R290?

r290 can be vented, since it is ODP and very small GWP. Don't smoke while venting.

Compressors for R290 are exactly the same as for R407c or R404a.

In order to operate on R290, your company must be certified for group G1 of PED directive.

Cheers!!

I'll leave the ball in my companys court ie: train me!

Also to leave the havanas in my van. lol

many thanks andy

Clearly, venting to the OUTSIDE! R290 is inflammable and explosive in certain percentages, so it is a bad idea to vent it in a supermarket.

R290 is propane aka Care 40 (higher grade than barbecue gas though), so is flammable. ODP is zero as NNN says, GWP is about 3 I think so a lot better than fluorocarbons. For training we usually insist that in addition to your CITB/C&G stuff you do an additional short course (half day) so you know the extra hazards before we sell it to you.

As for recovery, bit of a grey area (Argus?). As far as I know, venting isn't illegal but of course isn't too safe, but I think you are supposed to recover it because it will almost certainly be contaminated with compressor oil and so is classed as controlled waste (old refrigerant and oil can have corrosive or other nasty contaminants), so you would have to play by those rules. It's not been fully clarified, but I think the IOR are recommending recovery over venting. There are other threads on here about hydrocarbons - have a look.
    It's a lovely day to pump some gas

R-290 is wonderfull stuff I love it and us it when at all possible in my own systems, & I all ways try and recover as much as possible simply due to the fact it saves money and can be easily re-used after a couple cycles through multiple filter/dryers (A couple CR-032s seem to due wonders for cleaning and drying it).

<3 R-290 and ya, sparks are a realy bad idea around the stuff

Please be carefull andyh, some countries allow venting to atmosphere but in the UK we can fall foul of the Environmental Protection Act as johnnyrod says. Penalties for discharging waste refrigerant are an unlimted fine and or up to 5 years in prison.
    Beyond that if you hold City & Guilds 2078 or the CITB equiv' you should have covered the hydrocarbons. If you don't have either of the above qualifications, it will soon be illegal to work with refrigerants and illegal to employ you.

Keep smiling.

Whilst it?s true that Hydrocarbons are non-ozone depleting and in general have a low GWP, compared with Fluorocarbons, venting (in the UK at least), is not allowed. Neither is flaring or burning at site for obvious reasons.

The UK Hazardous Waste Regulations classify waste refrigerants and oils as Hazardous Waste.

HCs, should be considered and treated as industrial solvents under the same rules.

________
    Yamaha TDM850
    Last edited by Argus; 07-02-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Just a point - does the release of propane by campers connecting their calor gas stoves fall under the same regulations or does it just relate to our trade?

Of course not we have to punnish the trades workers for some non existant reason, same reason it is illegal to vent R-134a yet they sell it in air duster cans! same reason why they will not sell any refrigerants to canadians with out a liscance yet sell it in air duster cans again (R-134a; R-152a; R-600a/R-290)

alcham Guest

Dear All,
    Iwould like to ask your kind help in finding manufacturers & turnkey contractors of (skid - mounted) electric motor driven centrifugal compressor with all accessories for propane refrigiration unit.

I prefer the companies to be European if possible!
    thank you in advance

Ok So we are meant to recover care gases.
    Should we have a seperate cylinder for these though.
    I though that all recalimed gas for distruction has to be burnt off at a VERY high temp to burn if off.
    What would happen to care gas

Regards

raymond

pls can someone link me up with a site where I can obtain the refrigerant pressure, temperature, enthalpy and enthropy chart for R290?
    Pls help me.

Quote Originally Posted by PETER OTANWA View Post
    pls can someone link me up with a site where I can obtain the refrigerant pressure, temperature, enthalpy and enthropy chart for R290?
    Pls help me.
    Hi there,

You can download "Cool Pack" software. There you have this table with lots of other info.

Cheers
    Even Einstein Asked Questions

Hi Andy,
    I am new to this forum so i would like to say hi. I have recently taken training in the safe use; both design, installation and commissioning of hydrocarbon refrigerants. The course was very good provided through BOC.

Larger centrifugal compressor market is dominated by York with the Turbo Master series. How much capacity and what temperature do you need.

Beyond the York compressor, you go in to the API centrifugal such as an Elliott. These machines start at over $1MM USD less the oil system.

I have designed many hydrocarbon refrigeration systems using recips, screws and centrifugals.

Let us know a bit about your requirements.

Just saw your post, and I would look at a system with multiple oil injected screws. Contact either GEA or Frick. If our customer is a refiner or chemical plant they will probably require a steel case compressor.

Ken
    Last edited by TXiceman; 22-09-2007 at 06:45 PM.