});


Results 1 to 50 of 50
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    compact screw oil carry over



    Hi
    I am having oil carry over problem with a Refcomp compact screw model SRC-S-133 which works on -20/+35 degree centigrade temperatures.
    I counted on internally designed oil separator but after commissioning we found out there are excessive oil carry over from the compressor.
    at the next step we used an oil separator with oil return to suction side of the compressor (regarding that there isn't any other recommended port for that) although the carry over rate has been decreased but still stands and cause to shut down after a few days of working.
    I have also attached some photos to help find the problem please.
    any suggestion?
    155f18bd-f157-4414-8c2b-77623b48e5b8.jpg
    099264a0-4e7f-4c6a-9612-8df0c40a4a42.jpg
    ebd7fd52-5587-4de7-8bf0-8af4fc947a26.jpg



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    2,724
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    12embo,
    Need more information to help.

    1/ What type of evaporator do you have, can it collect oil ?
    Need to know where oil is collecting.
    2/ Evaporator superheat
    3/ Type of refrigerant & oil.
    4/ Was oil separator sizes for the load, or pipe sizes?
    5/ Does oil in sump foam all the time?
    6/ Discharges temperature.
    7/ Is oil return definitely returning.


    Usually after oil separator is sized for maximum load & is coalescer replaceable filter type like Temprite.
    Oil is collecting somewhere & that will decrease evaporator performance & possibly flood back.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Hi RANGER1
    1. Evaporator is a flooded flake ice drum ( with surge drum ) with an oil trap at the bottom of it and an oil drain valve. we regularly open and drain the oil which carried from the system. The oil is very dirty and not usable.
    2.Evaporator superheat is 5 degree centigrade
    3. The oil is suniso 4GS and refrigerant is R22
    4. Oil separator pipe size and discharge line size are the same. Usually for screw compressors we use bigger oil separator than you can see in the picture but since the catalog doesn't mention any possibilities for using an external oil separator we use this.
    5. Yes, the oil almost always foam in sight glass.
    6. Discharge temperature is about 90 degree centigrade and discharge pressure is 150-165 psi.
    7. We are mostly sure that the oil return from oil separator. but there is a doubt that oil could possibly migrate into 3 meter vertical suction line and to the surge drum because of the pressure difference. ( discharge pressure 150/suction pressure 25 psi) there is no connection embedded for the oil return so we used suction connection for that. there are also doubt for using oil cooler route for oil return which we again worries of oil wrong direction passage from oil cooler to oil separator due to little pressure difference.

    The other point is that when we reduce the capacity from 100 to 75 and so on the oil foam will return in sight glass more.

    this is the link for the instruction manual for this compressor for your reference. https://www.hosbv.com/data/specifica...HandBook_E.pdf
    your advises would be precious for me.
    Regards
    Last edited by l2embo; 20-07-2019 at 10:22 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    france
    Age
    59
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    What about the oil cooling?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by cricri View Post
    What about the oil cooling?
    there is an air cooled 3 liter oil cooler. 71479e34-5720-45e9-8209-c5e1f339cbb2.jpg

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    2,724
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    12embo,
    Can you advise on oil temperature & set point.
    Usually 10 to 15 deg C above saturated condensing pressure.
    So about 50 deg C.
    Discharge temperature seems a little high, is oil filter clean, small pressure drop?
    Can you increase suction superheat at all?
    It might help reduce oil foaming.
    If secondary oil separator working, would expect oil return to be quite warm most of the time.
    Bitzer & Temprite have suitable oil separators with coalescer filter for optimal oil separation, maybe check against similar size machine, or capacity you have.
    If velocity to high oil separator not likely to work.

    https://www.bitzer.de/us/us/oil-sepa...he-oas-series/

    https://temprite.com/downloads/920-920R_kW_Sizing.pdf

    https://temprite.com/downloads/EmersonReport.pdf
    Last edited by RANGER1; 20-07-2019 at 11:51 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Age
    41
    Posts
    849
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    l2embo,

    I'd like to see a picture of the surge drum and the pipe arrangement around the surge drum.
    Oil will form an oil rich layer on top of liquid R22, so I would like to see the oil drain arrangement as well

    -The discharge temperature seems a bit high for that load on the compressor, what is the ambient temperature?

    but there is a doubt that oil could possibly migrate into 3 meter vertical suction line and to the surge drum because of the pressure difference.
    I agree with this

    Looking forward to more pictures
    -Cheers-

    Tycho

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Iran
    Age
    61
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Hi
    you chose wrong type of oil
    suniso oil were not compact able with screw compressor
    in refcomp and bitzer screw compressor's
    you have to use recommended oil
    also you have a little bit oil and piping should be Wright to return oil
    density of oils is less than R 22
    So how you want to return oil from flooded evaprator from top of evaprator ?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Iran
    Age
    61
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    hi
    again your oil separator is vary small you need oil separator about 40 liter volume

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    2,724
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    Hi
    you chose wrong type of oil
    suniso oil were not compact able with screw compressor
    in refcomp and bitzer screw compressor's
    you have to use recommended oil
    also you have a little bit oil and piping should be Wright to return oil
    density of oils is less than R 22
    So how you want to return oil from flooded evaprator from top of evaprator ?
    mbc,
    Refcomp manual indicates Suniso 4GS for R22 okay(6.2 technical data in manual attached from 12embo attached).
    Other synthetic oils probably better, but evaporator sounds very contaminated.


    https://www.hosbv.com/data/specifica...HandBook_E.pdf

    12embo not returning oil at all because it is extremely dirty, assume secondhand evaporator.
    Last edited by RANGER1; 25-07-2019 at 10:14 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Iran
    Age
    61
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Hi Ranger

    on page 3 it is indicate suniso 4GS is on request (I think they use different type of oil filter- high mesh /inch)

    but on page 5 has more information

    and this is another document from Refcomp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 7.jpg (81.6 KB, 67 views)
    Last edited by mbc; 26-07-2019 at 06:38 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by RANGER1 View Post
    12embo,
    Can you advise on oil temperature & set point.
    Usually 10 to 15 deg C above saturated condensing pressure.
    So about 50 deg C.
    Discharge temperature seems a little high, is oil filter clean, small pressure drop?
    Can you increase suction superheat at all?
    It might help reduce oil foaming.
    If secondary oil separator working, would expect oil return to be quite warm most of the time.
    Bitzer & Temprite have suitable oil separators with coalescer filter for optimal oil separation, maybe check against similar size machine, or capacity you have.
    If velocity to high oil separator not likely to work.

    https://www.bitzer.de/us/us/oil-sepa...he-oas-series/

    https://temprite.com/downloads/920-920R_kW_Sizing.pdf

    https://temprite.com/downloads/EmersonReport.pdf
    Hi again.
    According to the technical data of the compressors oil cooler should start working when the temperature reach 110 degree centigrade and stop working when the temperature reaches 100. Although I agree with you according to my own experience which says the oil temperature should be about 55 to 65 degrees so I need to change the oil cooler maybe?
    I did not find any oil separator with coalescer in Iran. Any suggestions?
    By high velocity that you mentioned you mean the oil sepearator could be small?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    l2embo,

    I'd like to see a picture of the surge drum and the pipe arrangement around the surge drum.
    Oil will form an oil rich layer on top of liquid R22, so I would like to see the oil drain arrangement as well

    -The discharge temperature seems a bit high for that load on the compressor, what is the ambient temperature?


    I agree with this

    Looking forward to more pictures
    Dear Tycho

    I attached some photos for your reference. Ambient temperature is about 33 but we are using water-cooled condenser with the working pressure of 150 psi.
    About the oil drain arrangement I have to say we do not return the oil from the evaporator to the compressor since the evaporator is a second hand flake ice drum. Actually most of the oil stay in the condenser.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    Hi
    you chose wrong type of oil
    suniso oil were not compact able with screw compressor
    in refcomp and bitzer screw compressor's
    you have to use recommended oil
    also you have a little bit oil and piping should be Wright to return oil
    density of oils is less than R 22
    So how you want to return oil from flooded evaprator from top of evaprator ?
    We also used B320SH oil which is compatible with the screw compressor and it makes no difference at all.
    We do not return oil from our evaporator since it is a second hand flake ice evaporator. Moreover the oil stay in condenser.
    Any other suggestions?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    hi
    again your oil separator is vary small you need oil separator about 40 liter volume
    I guess you are right. We are on the same point to be honest. But in this case I conclude the compact screw oil separation is just a joke. Could you please tell me if we need mesh oil separator or coalescer oil separator or some tank oil separator like O&F oil separators is ok? Did you claim the 40 liter on your experience or you select it from a catalog?
    Regards

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    2,724
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by l2embo View Post
    Hi again.
    According to the technical data of the compressors oil cooler should start working when the temperature reach 110 degree centigrade and stop working when the temperature reaches 100. Although I agree with you according to my own experience which says the oil temperature should be about 55 to 65 degrees so I need to change the oil cooler maybe?
    I did not find any oil separator with coalescer in Iran. Any suggestions?
    By high velocity that you mentioned you mean the oil sepearator could be small?

    12embo,
    When you say oil coolers starts working at 110 to 100 deg C, do you mean oil temperature???
    Can you advise what your oil temperature is?
    From your description you have air cooled oil cooler, so it would cycle fan on /off on a thermostat.
    Maximum oil temperature, or control temperature I would think 45 to 55 deg C.
    Mid oil temperature high, discharge temperatures will be high, oil carry over could be higher.
    As far as oil separator I think a must to have coalescer type.
    Ask Refcomp supplier to do the leg work.
    They can import a compressor, why not oil separator.
    I only know of Bitzer, Temprite, maybe Hanbell.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    I was talking about discharge temperature, although the maximum oil temperature according to the technical data is 120 degree centigrade 230 degree Fahrenheit. which I think is really high!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Iran
    Age
    61
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Hi 12embo

    second hand or new one there is no different in piping
    it should be right
    you have to have system it can return oil from evaporator
    unless your oil will stay there and you loss oil and efficnsy

    also oil circulate in our system
    condenser is warm so oil can move very easy there
    you have flooded evaporator and I wrote before density of oil and R 22 is different

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    france
    Age
    59
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Hi 12embo
    you wrote: Hi RANGER1
    1. Evaporator is a flooded flake ice drum


    if your system is a flooded system, I can't see any device for an oil return from it.
    So the oil missing in the oil separator is probably the oil drained from the ice machine + the oil mixed with refrigerant in the surge drum.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Age
    41
    Posts
    849
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by l2embo View Post
    I was talking about discharge temperature, although the maximum oil temperature according to the technical data is 120 degree centigrade 230 degree Fahrenheit. which I think is really high!
    You need to change the setpoint for the oil cooler start... at those temperatures you may start "burning" the oil, that may be the reason why, as you say, the oil you are draining is very dirty.

    Discharge temperature should be kept at 70-80C, and with an air cooler, oil temperature should be minimum 10C lower, preferably oil temperature should be like mentioned earlier, 55-65C


    Looking at the picture below, the lower valve I have marked, is that a manual regulation valve for liquid to the Ice drum?

    Also, next to the suction drum, that looks like a level control valve, is it working?
    u5bc_20190725_154746.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Cheers-

    Tycho

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    2,724
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    12embo,
    As Tycho mentions what controls level in vessel on flake ice machine.
    Normally on clean system oil is returned to compressor with oil “skimmer” system.
    Oil rich refrigerant taken from top of refrigerant level in surge drum returns through a heat exchanger to boil off refrigerant before returning to compressor.
    From the looks of things Ice machine could have been on ammonia with the type of stop valves I see.

    No refrigeration screw compressors run discharge temperature you are referring to, way to hot as we have all mentioned.
    Oil would be so thin at those temperatures it probably be vapour or mist.
    Please send more photos of how level is controlled in evaporator.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by cricri View Post
    Hi 12embo
    you wrote: Hi RANGER1
    1. Evaporator is a flooded flake ice drum


    if your system is a flooded system, I can't see any device for an oil return from it.
    So the oil missing in the oil separator is probably the oil drained from the ice machine + the oil mixed with refrigerant in the surge drum.
    Sorry you are right. The system is not flooded. It is direct expansion with throttling valve.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    You need to change the setpoint for the oil cooler start... at those temperatures you may start "burning" the oil, that may be the reason why, as you say, the oil you are draining is very dirty.

    Discharge temperature should be kept at 70-80C, and with an air cooler, oil temperature should be minimum 10C lower, preferably oil temperature should be like mentioned earlier, 55-65C


    Looking at the picture below, the lower valve I have marked, is that a manual regulation valve for liquid to the Ice drum?

    Also, next to the suction drum, that looks like a level control valve, is it working?
    u5bc_20190725_154746.jpg
    The yellow marked is our throttling valve and the red mark is level control on our surge drum.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Russia
    Age
    37
    Posts
    392
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    2019-07-29_12-33-10.png

    Bad idea to use compact screw in that situation.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Iran
    Age
    61
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    hi 22 Embo

    first you wrote it is flooded
    then you wrote it is direct system with expansion with throttling valve
    and then you put it control with level control
    your photo shows your system is a flooded system

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    france
    Age
    59
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    mbc,
    it's a strange system.....
    not flooded; the drum is only filed from the receiver. so there is no recirculation
    no superheat control, the liquid injection should stop..... when the drum is full as the return line
    no oil return

    these ice machines are usualy empty of liquid, it flows along the drum wall
    never that seen before

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    2,724
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by RusBuka View Post
    2019-07-29_12-33-10.png

    Bad idea to use compact screw in that situation.
    RusBuka,
    Can you explain what is wrong with it?
    Is it motor cooling or something, I can't quite see on your printout.

    Thanks

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by cricri View Post
    mbc,
    it's a strange system.....
    not flooded; the drum is only filed from the receiver. so there is no recirculation
    no superheat control, the liquid injection should stop..... when the drum is full as the return line
    no oil return

    these ice machines are usualy empty of liquid, it flows along the drum wall
    never that seen before
    Liquid overfeed system with gravity flooded evaporator.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Age
    69
    Posts
    746
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    What type of ice machine is this?
    I have used this type of system with the North Star Ice Flaker and it works well.
    I cannot see from the picture what kind of level control you have.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Age
    41
    Posts
    849
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by l2embo View Post
    Liquid overfeed system with gravity flooded evaporator.
    No, it's not "liquid over feed" because liquid overfeed would mean that liquid was pumped to the system from a low pressure drum. what you have is a DX (direct expansion system) where you have hand regulated the liquid feed valve so you can keep a steady level in the surge drum.

    I have to give you kudos since you have been able to keep a steady level in the sure drum at 30% as I can see from the from the condensation on the surge drum.


    Really, the way this system should be controlled is by using the level valve, that should ask for liquid from the condenser/receicer when needed, and it should go through a heat exchanger that exchanger would return any oil back in the compressor suction to ensure that the oil stays in the compressor circuit.

    The way your system is piped, you may end up with a evaporator (ice coil) that will be clogged by oil and you will have less ice prodction.
    -Cheers-

    Tycho

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Iran
    Age
    61
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Hi Tycho
    it is flooded system and refrigeration liquid control by the level control it has solenoid valve and hand REG valve .
    liquid comes direct from reciver
    on top they put surge drum ( same as liquid Separator )
    also oil will stay in surge drum .

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    2,724
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by l2embo View Post
    Dear Tycho

    I attached some photos for your reference. Ambient temperature is about 33 but we are using water-cooled condenser with the working pressure of 150 psi.
    About the oil drain arrangement I have to say we do not return the oil from the evaporator to the compressor since the evaporator is a second hand flake ice drum. Actually most of the oil stay in the condenser.


    No no ice on float leg?

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Age
    41
    Posts
    849
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    Hi Tycho
    it is flooded system and refrigeration liquid control by the level control it has solenoid valve and hand REG valve .
    liquid comes direct from reciver
    on top they put surge drum ( same as liquid Separator )
    also oil will stay in surge drum .
    mbc, I am well aware of what kind of system it is, I was simply pointing out that it is not a "liquid overfeed system". There is no overfeed going on in this system.
    -Cheers-

    Tycho

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Age
    41
    Posts
    849
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by RANGER1 View Post
    No no ice on float leg?
    I think we should all note that, as l2embo said. HP liquid is fed into the flooded system through the hand regulating valve that can bee seen in the middle of the attached picture, that feeds into the bottom of the drum.

    Also in the same (last picture), connected into the middle of the "drop leg" pipe, is a pipe that is ice and frost free, connected to a level control valve, that is apparently not in use.

    The last ice machine I worked on was a North Star, and it was identical in design as this one.

    And the Liquid level in the surge drum was controlled by a danfoss RT thermostat (I forget what kind of RT, but it had a heating element), when the RT read a high delta T it would signal the level control valve to add liquid.

    Liquid from the HP receiver was added in the drop leg, exactly as shown in these pictures exept it was using the level control valve and not a hand regulated valve.

    and there was a functioning oil return by heat exchange from hp liquid.

    so to stop beating about the bush and just lay it out:

    So no offence to l2embo, but the oil temperature is too high, this again makes the discharge temperature too high, this again makes the oil less dense and more susceptible to follow the gas out of the compressor, the oil separator mounted on the discharge is too small (it would probably work on a small piston compressor, but it's much to small for the screw compressor). While I salute you for having managed to keep the correct level in the surge drum by using the hand regulating valve, you have to install an oil rectifier, and pipe the liquid feed through the level control valve if you want this system to work optimal and also have oil return to the compressor.
    Oh and also to minimize oil loss, lower the discharge temperature to below 90C
    -Cheers-

    Tycho

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Age
    69
    Posts
    746
    Rep Power
    21

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    It would be helpful if I had a reply to my question as to the maker of this ice machine.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    france
    Age
    59
    Posts
    154
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    NH3LVR,

    from what I can see, it seems to be a Sabroe Atlas single drum. the size?? V156 => V619

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Dear friends
    Thanks for your cooperation.
    We have changed the compressor with a piston type copeland model 6RR2-400a-tsn the oil carry over problem still goes on.
    The point is when we dried the ice maker drum before changing the compressor there was no oil in drum. What could be the problem? We are assuming the condenser is too big for system so the discharge gas easily pass oil separator because of the low condenser pressure. Is it possible? Condenser pressure is about 180 psi.

  38. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    2,724
    Rep Power
    30

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    12embo,
    180 psi or 1250kpa sounds good for shell & tube condenser to me.
    Any oil foaming in compressor sight glass?
    Oil return working?
    Where is oil being drained from?
    Is oil separator sized correctly?
    Last edited by RANGER1; 05-08-2019 at 12:38 PM.

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Dear friends
    Thanks for your cooperation.
    We have changed the compressor with a piston type copeland model 6RR2-400a-tsn the oil carry over problem still goes on.
    The point is when we dried the ice maker drum before changing the compressor there was no oil in drum. What could be the problem? We are assuming the condenser is too big for system so the discharge gas easily pass oil separator because of the low condenser pressure. Is it possible?
    Could the oil separator be defectivec

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Dear Tycho
    We did not drain any oil from the oil drain valve while we were changing the compressor. We are assuming that oil stayed in the condenser. Or is it possible that oil is in surge drum and the siphon under it ?

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Iran
    Age
    61
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    hi

    your piping and slope of pipe inside condenser is not right

    what is the condenser brands you are using .

    Also why you change the compressor ?

    I think screw more better than piston type
    for this type works .

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Age
    41
    Posts
    849
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by l2embo View Post
    Dear friends
    Thanks for your cooperation.
    We have changed the compressor with a piston type copeland model 6RR2-400a-tsn the oil carry over problem still goes on.
    The point is when we dried the ice maker drum before changing the compressor there was no oil in drum. What could be the problem? We are assuming the condenser is too big for system so the discharge gas easily pass oil separator because of the low condenser pressure. Is it possible?
    Could the oil separator be defectivec
    Quote Originally Posted by l2embo View Post
    Dear Tycho
    We did not drain any oil from the oil drain valve while we were changing the compressor. We are assuming that oil stayed in the condenser. Or is it possible that oil is in surge drum and the siphon under it ?
    Dear l2embo,

    if there was no oil in the drum after you "dried" it, which I think you mean you pumped the system down and trapped all the liquid in the condenser, than that means that the oil is staying in the condenser.

    Looking at your pictures, I now see that the big blue tank below the compressor is the condenser/receiver.

    And that condenser/receiver is so large that there is probably not a lot of turbulence in it, so the oil leaving the compressor will collect, like I said before oil is lighter than R-22, in an oil rich layer on top of the R-22 liquid.

    Also, since you are controlling the liquid level in the surge/suction drum with a hand regulating valve, and not using the liquid level control valve, I am kind of unsure how to advise you on oil return. because if the oil is collected on top of the liquid in the condenser/receiver, then it's kind of trapped there.

    What is the liquid level % in the condenser?
    -Cheers-

    Tycho

  43. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Iran
    Age
    61
    Posts
    508
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Hi Tycho

    if he pump down the system ,
    oil should be on drum if there were oil
    in pump down we sucking gas and oil were stay on drum

    but to return oil ( oil is on top in flooded system in freion ) from drum he needs rectifier system .
    I am family with those condenser's
    design of pipes inside condenser is not right and oil especially POE oil were stay there .

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Norway
    Age
    41
    Posts
    849
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    24

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by mbc View Post
    Hi Tycho

    if he pump down the system ,
    oil should be on drum if there were oil
    in pump down we sucking gas and oil were stay on drum

    but to return oil ( oil is on top in flooded system in freion ) from drum he needs rectifier system .
    I am family with those condenser's
    design of pipes inside condenser is not right and oil especially POE oil were stay there .
    Yes, but look at the size of the condenser in the picture.
    it is a very big condenser.
    if oil and gas comes in from top and the gas condenses...

    The liquid outlet is on other side of condenser.

    you have very slow movement inside condenser, so oil will stay on top of liquid in condenser.

    is what I am thinking.

    If he has smaller condenser, with higher gas and liquid flow, then oil and liquid will go quickly from condenser to LP drum.

    l2embo, says that when they pumped out the ice drum and LP receiver, there was no oil.

    But he oil has left the compressor, so it has to go somewhere, yes?

    That is why I am saying the oil may be staying in the condenser

    Now... if l2embo keep running the system until the condenser is 70% oil, then the oil will start to go out to icedrum and expansiontank along with liquid from condenser, but he will also see that level in LP drum increases, even if he didn't add any *****.

    Now I agree with you, he needs to add a rectifier system, but personally, I don't know any rectifier that works on a system with a steady stream of HP liquid. it needs to alternate.

    If l2embo want's I can draw up a piping diagram for that ice machine, and an electrical diagram, but it would also mean that he would have to change the control system, to properly control the liquid level in the LP drum

    So mbc, I am not here to arrest anyone or to make anyone look bad... I am doing my best to give input and help, from sometimes very little information. but I am here to help
    -Cheers-

    Tycho

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Tycho
    we pumped down the LP side and trap all the gas in the condenser. we did not drain any oil from oil drain valve of the drum. we assume maybe the oil has been trapped inside the siphon under the surge drum. we also add nitrogen about 8 bar to drum for draining the oil but still get nothing.
    about your question for liquid level I should say it is a small percentage HP liquid in condenser. if we open the throttling valve more than 1 turn we see high pressure liquid travels very very fast to LP side from the sight glass.
    do you offer thermostatic expansion valve for that?
    I would like to have your suggestion for piping and electrical diagram for the ice machine.
    please also include what kind of valve is could we use for HP liquid control.

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    MBC
    what do you think is wrong with the condenser?
    I haven't heard about rectifier system before. please let me know. Is it the system with oil return from evaporator using an heat exchanger to avoid liquid come to the compressor?
    if yes please note than we are not receiving the oil from Evaporator.
    Thanks
    Last edited by l2embo; 09-08-2019 at 10:31 AM.

  47. #47
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Sabroe Atlas 10 tons per day flake ice maker

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    australia
    Posts
    2,724
    Rep Power
    30

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Hi Tycho
    please provide me with the diagrams if possible
    regards

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Iran
    Posts
    29
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: compact screw oil carry over

    Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Yes, but look at the size of the condenser in the picture.
    it is a very big condenser.
    if oil and gas comes in from top and the gas condenses...

    The liquid outlet is on other side of condenser.

    you have very slow movement inside condenser, so oil will stay on top of liquid in condenser.

    is what I am thinking.

    If he has smaller condenser, with higher gas and liquid flow, then oil and liquid will go quickly from condenser to LP drum.

    l2embo, says that when they pumped out the ice drum and LP receiver, there was no oil.

    But he oil has left the compressor, so it has to go somewhere, yes?

    That is why I am saying the oil may be staying in the condenser

    Now... if l2embo keep running the system until the condenser is 70% oil, then the oil will start to go out to icedrum and expansiontank along with liquid from condenser, but he will also see that level in LP drum increases, even if he didn't add any *****.

    Now I agree with you, he needs to add a rectifier system, but personally, I don't know any rectifier that works on a system with a steady stream of HP liquid. it needs to alternate.

    If l2embo want's I can draw up a piping diagram for that ice machine, and an electrical diagram, but it would also mean that he would have to change the control system, to properly control the liquid level in the LP drum

    So mbc, I am not here to arrest anyone or to make anyone look bad... I am doing my best to give input and help, from sometimes very little information. but I am here to help
    Hi Tycho
    Please provide me with you recommendation on diagrams.
    Regards

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •