Best R22 drop in for Daikin VRV

Dear All

I have an R22 Daikin VRV outdoor unit is RSXY10MJ7W1 which serves 11 indoor fan coils from the FXYC range (eg FXYC40HJV1).

Does anyone have any experience of using a straight drop in for R22 for this range?

Even if it's just a short term fix to get the system through the Summer?

Kind Regards and Thanks

Contactor

Re: Best R22 drop in for Daikin VRV

I don't want to appear argumentative but you do realise that it will be at least 10 possibly 15 years old and the refrigerant was banned completely 4 years ago and all the good alternatives to R22 have mostly been banned also.
    To replace the refrigerant is probably gyro cost more than it would cost to replace it!!

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Never done it myself (R22 swapout on VRV) but understanding how a VRV software relies heavily on superheat readings for correct EEV control makes me wonder if it is at all possibe.

I would assume that any deviation from the original operating parameters would lead to control mayhem.

it would be interesting to hear from someone who has done this and what sort of results they managed to achieve though

Thanks Guys

Yes aware of the potential problems but looking to see if something will work in the short term - am hoping someone here will have some experience of using a drop in on old VRV.

Regards

That's the trouble, there is no such thing as a drop in.

The original refrigerant was replaced with short term replacements 15 years or more ago and they are all
    Banned along with th R22.

There is no such thing as a drop in, all the replacements will need some form of adjustment and or replacement.

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

As Frank says using a drop in on a single split you can just about get away with but the more complicated VRV, will cause a lot more headaches and as soon as you mention it to Daikin Technical, that will be the end of the conversation as they do not have the relevant operational data to suit your drop in.
    I think your client is going to have to accept that a new replacement system is going to be the only way forward.
    Mobile A/C at its best, see avatar.
    Bedford. Now retired and trying to relax.

I tried R407c in a split here once as there was no R22 or drop ins available just to see how it went.... it worked ok but It ended up fracturing. I guess if I'd thought about it more I could have run it on heat for a while to remix the gas (apparently that was Toshiba's advice back when they were having these issues in their first gen R407c stuff which was believed to be just relabeled old R22 kit with te correct oil)

As said DUK won't help but tbf they wouldn't anyway as their first question always is "Have you confirmed the charge?" which obviously you can't so you're on your own..

I'd phone A-gas and ask them if they have anything available: worth a shot till the warm weather goes..

We did it 3 times with R438b and added some POE (guess 15%) as well to increase solubility of the mineral oil.
    They're running now since 5 years
    It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.