Hybrid View

Re: Floating suction pressures in industrial

Not in your league Guys.
    But I have a site where myself and my ex colleague saved in the first year of our stewardship. Over 750,000KW.hrs of electric consumption and more again the following year.
    By turning off the floating suction. Raising the Set points by a couple of degrees c. As a rule of thumb each degree raised can be as much as 10% Saving on the Electricity consumed.#
    Lowering the condensing pressure sounds good but can lead to Poor Hot gas defrost. And that is a game changer if you cannot defrost efficiently. Because if the coolers are not free flowing. the suction pressure will drop and its then a case of the "tale wagging the dog".
    A stable system which is not ramping up and down will out perform a floating system any day.

Just my opinion as I am no consultant but answer this!
    Which uses more Fuel a steady load or one which ramps up and down?
    As you rightly say Ranger it does all depend upon what you are dealing with and who wrote / setup the software controlling the plant.

Variable speed comps are brilliant and will gradually unload and bimble along with next to no load on them.
    In fact the site I am talking about has screws with 50,000 run hrs on the and have not missed a beat.
    Service exchange run hrs are blown out of the water because, once the surge drums are down to temp.
    They just Trundle along at almost minimum speed. Who ever sized the system was spot on.

I remember Power factor correction being all the rage in the 90's. What was conveniently not said was unless the motor was above 70KW it was a waste of time.
    What is the first rule when setting up a plant.
    Imagine you are up to your chin in S***!
    And the Engineer Says" Don't Make Waves!"

Still true today!
    Grizzly
    Despite the High Cost of Living it still remains Popular!

Re: Floating suction pressures in industrial

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Not in your league Guys.
    But I have a site where myself and my ex colleague saved in the first year of our stewardship. Over 750,000KW.hrs of electric consumption and more again the following year.
    By turning off the floating suction. Raising the Set points by a couple of degrees c. As a rule of thumb each degree raised can be as much as 10% Saving on the Electricity consumed.#
    Lowering the condensing pressure sounds good but can lead to Poor Hot gas defrost. And that is a game changer if you cannot defrost efficiently. Because if the coolers are not free flowing. the suction pressure will drop and its then a case of the "tale wagging the dog".
    A stable system which is not ramping up and down will out perform a floating system any day.

Just my opinion as I am no consultant but answer this!
    Which uses more Fuel a steady load or one which ramps up and down?
    As you rightly say Ranger it does all depend upon what you are dealing with and who wrote / setup the software controlling the plant.

Variable speed comps are brilliant and will gradually unload and bimble along with next to no load on them.
    In fact the site I am talking about has screws with 50,000 run hrs on the and have not missed a beat.
    Service exchange run hrs are blown out of the water because, once the surge drums are down to temp.
    They just Trundle along at almost minimum speed. Who ever sized the system was spot on.

I remember Power factor correction being all the rage in the 90's. What was conveniently not said was unless the motor was above 70KW it was a waste of time.
    What is the first rule when setting up a plant.
    Imagine you are up to your chin in S***!
    And the Engineer Says" Don't Make Waves!"

Still true today!
    Grizzly
    Thanks Grizzly,
    I see it as you & agree 100%, happy to be proven incorrect.
    I think a consultant or engineer goes to a seminar, everyone theorizes how it will save energy with better COP, then wants it in a system, you jump through hoops, get something to work maybe, tell them what you did, then it's their idea.
    If it does not work it's your fault, am I sceptical & paranoid or what, now I know what that bad taste in my mouth is!