Running a refrigerant scroll compressor on air?

Can I use a scroll compressor from a minisplit as a test mule and let it circulate in open air for a few seconds to test inverter boards? Just hook it up and see if it will run the compressor. I know a scroll has tighter specs and might not run for long pumping air but will it work? Would I be better of with a hose between inlet and outlet? Maybe using a recov cylinder as buffer? Ideas?

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Re: Running a refrigerant scroll compressor on air?

Why not get an inverter checker?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Yes Ive seen those, but what it you would like to check the board with a load. I have one unit that sets a fault for current draw and when I disconnect compressor the unit runs. Either inverter board or compressor is bad. Checked windings and they are ok and no excess amp draw of unit. My idea is to test run with a stand alone compressor connected to the units inverter board to see if starts.

Connect a valve to the discharge connection with a gauge .start the compressor and then start to shut the valve this will load the compressor and the gauge will show what discharge pressure is at each turn of the valve .use a clamp meter to measure the current draw.

Yes! Thats what I'm looking for. Using a recovery tank I have that throttle valve and I suppose I can have some refrigerant in it too. Or will I loose oil into the cylinder that wont come back?
    Last edited by Swedal; 09-01-2019 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedal View Post
    Can I use a scroll compressor from a minisplit as a test mule and let it circulate in open air for a few seconds to test inverter boards? Just hook it up and see if it will run the compressor. I know a scroll has tighter specs and might not run for long pumping air but will it work? Would I be better of with a hose between inlet and outlet? Maybe using a recov cylinder as buffer? Ideas?
    I did some work at a compressor manufacturers a while ago and they rebuilt certain types of scroll. They always tested them on OFN (nitrogen) and with a closed loop using valves they could test at certain load conditions. So if manufacturers do it you could.

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

I've got a small three phase motor for testing. It's actually a bldc motor from a small split system I replaced as the bearing was noisy. Inside is a circuit board with the inverter drive which I removed and soldered wires into the three phases.
    Doesn't take a massive load but has shown up dodgy inverters.
    I've tried a small inverter to run the compressor but not as much success. Compressor seeems to run but shakes about a lot. Not sure if it's a bit too weak as it runs the test motor fine.

Cheers,
    Andy.