Safety switch suggestion

I'm trying to replace a faulty safety switch on a John Deere GX345. I'm having a hard time finding a genuine new replacement. I've seen an industrial switch from GE being used at work to secure ambulance doors https://www.valinonline.com/products/111-y . I was wondering if I can interchange a switch like this to replace the safety switch on my GX345.

Blog Entries

Re: Safety switch suggestion

Not sure if this is the correct place to as for help with a riding mower, but out of curiosity

where is the safety switch located and what it it for?
    -Cheers-

Tycho

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

Have you tried these people? https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...tor-Parts.html

But to be honest, we know damn all about grass cutters.
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_UK View Post
    Have you tried these people? https://www.greenpartstore.com/John-...tor-Parts.html

But to be honest, we know damn all about grass cutters.
    We may not know anything about riding mowers, but we are refrigeration technicians, and we know more about problem solving than any other mechanical/electrical occupation combined, and we just love to solve problems

So I have spent the last few hours googling the electrical diagrams for the "John Deere GX345" and anything that can be called a "safety switch" that I can find is the "operator presence switch" that is under the seat.

These can be bought through E-bay for cheap:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-...EAAOSwAtlawkJ7

https://www.ebay.com/itm/John-Deere-...kAAOSwft9awkLm

There are also numerous youtube videoes showing how to disable it.

But to answer dannyr's original question, if it is the seat switch that is the problem, any ON/OFF switch would work, and if you are going to replace a faulty "operator present" switch, I don't think the switch you mentioned would work, as it's a proximity switch, and as long as the seat is down, it will say that everything is ok.

The "operator present switch" says that "operator is sitting in the seat" so, I would go for OEM parts on this one
    -Cheers-

Tycho

Just as reference my jd mower has two safety switches one for the seat one for when the grass bin is full the original switches have been retrofitted with zanotti monoblock door switches does the job a treat

Only in Devon?
    1 step from agricultural
    Does your moat have a filtration system as well Charlie?

Grizzly
    Despite the High Cost of Living it still remains Popular!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Only in Devon?
    1 step from agricultural
    Does your moat have a filtration system as well Charlie?

Grizzly
    hahaha, like I said, only a refrigeration technician could solve a problem like that without OEM parts.

can't count the times where I have been helping friends or family with something completely unrelated to refrigeration and could say "Hang on... I think I have something in my van that might work"
    Then again I am a hoarder and keep all kinds of stuff in my "might be usefull drawer"

And then you have the people who are not solution oriented... at... all...

Friend of mine bought a new house, it had a central vacuum unit, he had to replace it because his wife thought the old one was to noisy.

New unit was bigger than the old one, connections didn't fit, so he bought a bag full of fittings to make it fit, I came over and he showed me how he planned to run the pipes in a full 360 degree loop to make it fit.

2 seconds in I said "Why don't you just use a hose"

he ended up using a hose
    -Cheers-

Tycho

Brian_UK is offline Moderator I am starting to push the Mods: of RE Site Moderator : and general nice guy

I saw a tin drinking mug/cup in a store yesterday, on it it had the question -

"I'm an engineer, what's your superpower?"

Does that sum us up do you think?
    Brian - Newton Abbot, Devon, UK
    Retired March 2015

Well grizzly the water wheel drives a alternator which charges the batteries we need that in Devon because of sod all phone coverage ��

Quite the coincidence someone asking about this sort of thing as I just reconditioned one as a side project. Not a John Deer, different model. Electrics and safeties can be a confusing. Mine had safeties on seat, brake pedal (had to be pressed fully before would start), another on PTO handle that engaged blades, a odd ignition set up that had to be turned from on to the lights position, then another button pushed that allowed mover to reverse AND blades stayed engaged. Sort of a child safety thing, that made you check behind etc.

All switches on mine were just mechanical NO/NC depending on use. And were easily cleaned/dismantled. When I got the Ride On it had been sitting out in the elements for two years and was already 15 years old. Funnily enough the electrical side of things, once I'd figured it out was the easiest part. Belts set up, pulleys and mower side of controls was the trickiest.

Got it all running and thoroughly enjoyed mowing my lawn half cut (get it?) with beer in hand. Sold the thing though as my section was just to small!

the best switch you can get.Switch.jpg

Or that one,
    Switch 2.jpg