Thread: Polar Ice Maker

Polar Ice Maker

Looking at a pals ice maker. Not looked at any this type before: it’s a GL193-2

Its forms ice in the tray but it doesn’t drop...so the ice block just continues to build up. I witnessed a ‘defrost’ cycle. The hot gas valve opens and begins to defrost the coil but didn’t stay on for long enough to drop the ice.

I’m assuming the the probe on the evap should tell the controller when to stop the defrost cycle? So I figure it’s the probe that’s the problem.

Any other ideas or common issues like this?

Re: Polar Ice Maker

Quote Originally Posted by TaffyLad View Post
    Looking at a pals ice maker. Not looked at any this type before: it’s a GL193-2

Its forms ice in the tray but it doesn’t drop...so the ice block just continues to build up. I witnessed a ‘defrost’ cycle. The hot gas valve opens and begins to defrost the coil but didn’t stay on for long enough to drop the ice.

I’m assuming the the probe on the evap should tell the controller when to stop the defrost cycle? So I figure it’s the probe that’s the problem.

Any other ideas or common issues like this?
    I have never worked on your machine, but when i have had this issue in the past ive found its either the evap plate is slightly dirty or the gas charge is slightly short and wont run the hot gas for long enough, i have just had a look through my manuals and i have a manual and a exploded diagram of the machine if you need it.

Hopefully you get it sorted

Found an exploded diagram, thank you though. It’d be nice to have a technical manual as opposed to a user manual. No explanation on their documents as to how it’s actually controlled.

i thought about gas but then the coil was icing up nicely and I didn’t want to break into the system. Might end up doing so if a replacement probe doesn’t work.

Quote Originally Posted by TaffyLad View Post
    Found an exploded diagram, thank you though. It’d be nice to have a technical manual as opposed to a user manual. No explanation on their documents as to how it’s actually controlled.

i thought about gas but then the coil was icing up nicely and I didn’t want to break into the system. Might end up doing so if a replacement probe doesn’t work.
    Ah the manual i have just states instruction manual so i would say its a user manual, yes i have worked on machines where the coil iced up perfectly but they was slightly short of gas and they wouldnt drop the ice, best thing to do is manually defrost the evap plate and watch what the machine does from start up then youll be able to see what happens before actually breaking into the system.

Blog Entries

What I learned dealing with ice-makers can be sad as one short rule "first de-calcification, than else"! 70% of my ice-maker service calls is sorted out by cleaning from calc buildup.
    Buy some phosphoric acid for hard cases and lots of citric acid for regular maintenance and you will be covered for most of service calls.

http://www.nucalgon.com/products/water-filtration-maintenance/nickel-safe
    Last edited by nike123; 16-12-2018 at 11:33 PM.