Capacity error SAB 163 HF

Hey,

I have a Sabroe 163 HF ammonia chiller which from time to time breaks down with following error message, "capacity error". Does anyone know what this error means, and what happens in the compressor when it occurs ?

Jonas

Re: Capacity error SAB 163 HF

Some instructions
    Is capacity control indication a rotary needle type on end of compressor or LPI (linear position indicator) which you only see on Unisab?

https://support.sabroe.com/uploads/t...ce_2004-02.pdf

https://www.hbproducts.dk/images/cer...ual-022-UK.pdf
    Last edited by RANGER1; 08-11-2018 at 09:44 PM.

Hi, Ranger1

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER1 View Post
    Some instructions
    Is capacity control indication a rotary needle type on end of compressor or LPI (linear position indicator) which you only see on Unisab?

https://support.sabroe.com/uploads/t...ce_2004-02.pdf

https://www.hbproducts.dk/images/cer...ual-022-UK.pdf

Not sure in this moment ... for a long time I was not working on SAB with UNISAB controller, but as I remember rotary needle type is for capacity control and LPI (installed on motor side of compressor) is for Vi slide and visible only on UNISAB. This must be a model with automatic Vi.

Capacity error as you described can be due too long time to move capacity slide. By default there is 300 seconds to move capacity slide from 100%-to 0% (as I remember it is possible to change this time) if this time is longer compressor is going to shutdown.

Few hints .... first you can check both solenoids for capacity control (one is NO and another NC), then small filters integrated into oil lines for capacity change ... then you can check manually capacity slide movement it must be within 60 seconds from 0-100% and another 60 seconds from 100%-0% there you have two throttle valves to adjust ... (of course system must be ready for test - warm oil, system request for capacity etc) if system is too sensitive (to change compressor capacity from 0-100% within 60 seconds) you can check slide movement manually within 30 seconds .. slide must come around 50-60-70% and again down to 0% after 30 seconds

Hope this is of some help to you.

Best regards, Josip

It's impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious...

Don't ever underestimate the power of stupid people when they are in large groups.

Please, don't teach me how to be stupid....
    No job is as important as to jeopardize the safety of you or those that you work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Josip View Post
    Hi, Ranger1

Not sure in this moment ... for a long time I was not working on SAB with UNISAB controller, but as I remember rotary needle type is for capacity control and LPI (installed on motor side of compressor) is for Vi slide and visible only on UNISAB. This must be a model with automatic Vi.

Capacity error as you described can be due too long time to move capacity slide. By default there is 300 seconds to move capacity slide from 100%-to 0% (as I remember it is possible to change this time) if this time is longer compressor is going to shutdown.

Few hints .... first you can check both solenoids for capacity control (one is NO and another NC), then small filters integrated into oil lines for capacity change ... then you can check manually capacity slide movement it must be within 60 seconds from 0-100% and another 60 seconds from 100%-0% there you have two throttle valves to adjust ... (of course system must be ready for test - warm oil, system request for capacity etc) if system is too sensitive (to change compressor capacity from 0-100% within 60 seconds) you can check slide movement manually within 30 seconds .. slide must come around 50-60-70% and again down to 0% after 30 seconds

Hope this is of some help to you.

Best regards, Josip
    Josip,
    I think you are correct.
    In Sab 202 they went to the LPI .
    Mk4 only has Vi adjustment on slide, not capacity control from what I see.
    They must use VSD only for capacity control ROTATUNE.
    I had a lot of trouble with one dial, as a few magnets had come adrift making unreliable.
    Replaces with new parts kit, all good.