AC power cord replacement question

So I just bought a new house, and one of the rooms has a relatively new Frigidaire 5K BTU window shaker. The problem that I am having is that when I removed it to clean it out and store it for the winter, I accidentally damaged the plug. I would just cut the plug off and install a new one, but it has a weird plug that I have never seen. It looks kind of like a GFCI plug with a test and reset button, but I don’t think it is. So my question is what do I do about this? I don’t know what it does, but I don’t think it would be a good idea to replace it with a normal plug since it’s probably there for a reason. So what do I do about this? Do I need to spend a fortune on a whole new cord, or can I replace just the plug? Thanks.

Re: AC power cord replacement question

In the UK they are called RCD plugs. Residual Current Device and it is used to protect against electric shock. If your US version is the same then it could be replaced with any compatible type. In the UK we can buy them from wholesale outlets, electrical supplies and DIY shops. They are easy to fit and should not be any harder than a normal plug top.

That is all dependant on it being the same as a RCD plug.

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Quote Originally Posted by Rob White View Post

In the UK they are called RCD plugs. Residual Current Device and it is used to protect against electric shock. If your US version is the same then it could be replaced with any compatible type. In the UK we can buy them from wholesale outlets, electrical supplies and DIY shops. They are easy to fit and should not be any harder than a normal plug top.

That is all dependant on it being the same as a RCD plug.

Rob

Thank you for the reply. I looked closely at the plug, and it is an LDCI. Leakage current detector and interrupter. There is also a sticker on the side of the unit that says that a damaged cord must be replaced with a new one from them if that matters. If I understand correctly, a LCDI it’s basically a GFCI, but I could be wrong since I’ve never seen one before. So in theory, I could install a GFCI receptacle to plug it into and replace it with a normal plug, right?.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy4 View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I looked closely at the plug, and it is an LDCI. Leakage current detector and interrupter. There is also a sticker on the side of the unit that says that a damaged cord must be replaced with a new one from them if that matters. If I understand correctly, a LCDI it’s basically a GFCI, but I could be wrong since I’ve never seen one before. So in theory, I could install a GFCI receptacle to plug it into and replace it with a normal plug, right?.
    It's a cable and plug!

What you have to remember is the makers of the AC unit need to protect themselves from any legal action in the event anything going wrong so they will state that the whole thing needs to be replaced professionally to cover themselves.

If you are confident that you can do it and as long as you use the appropriate fittings then changing the plug and or cable with a suitable compatible one is totally acceptable and should cause no problems or complications.

Rob

It's a cable and plug!

What you have to remember is the makers of the AC unit need to protect themselves from any legal action in the event anything going wrong so they will state that the whole thing needs to be replaced professionally to cover themselves.

If you are confident that you can do it and as long as you use the appropriate fittings then changing the plug and or cable with a suitable compatible one is totally acceptable and should cause no problems or complications.

Rob

Thank you. I know that I can safely change the cord and/or plug since I’ve done both many times before, but I don’t think I can install a a standard plug on this unit since it has a special cord. I found that an LCDI is to shut off power to the unit to prevent a fire if something in the wiring shorts out. So I presume that I do need to replace the entire cord for that safety feature to work since I can’t buy an LCDI plug because it’s part of the cord. Am I correct?
    Last edited by coolguy4; 28-10-2018 at 04:06 PM.

Sorry I don't know.

What you are describing is not something I'm familiar with in the UK.
    We have special plugs and sockets, we have spark detection and special cables but I'm not familiar with what you are describing so I can't advice any further.

Maybe professional advice is required.

Regards
    Rob

Sorry I don't know.

What you are describing is not something I'm familiar with in the UK.
    We have special plugs and sockets, we have spark detection and special cables but I'm not familiar with what you are describing so I can't advice any further.

Maybe professional advice is required.

Regards
    Rob

Thank you for your help. I called an appliance parts store and they said that the LCDI cord is to prevent fires if the cord is damaged by careless handling. He said that when people remove the unit for the winter, sometimes they would set it on the cord and damage it, creating a fire hazard. The LCDI detects current leaking out of the hot wires by monitoring for current flow to a fine wire mesh around the wires inside the cord. He said that I can use a standard 3 prong replacement plug without a problem as long as I don’t damage the cord, which I am always careful to not do. So I cut the damaged plug off and installed a standard heavy duty 3 prong replacement plug, and the unit works fine. Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by coolguy4 View Post
    Thank you for your help. I called an appliance parts store and they said that the LCDI cord is to prevent fires if the cord is damaged by careless handling. He said that when people remove the unit for the winter, sometimes they would set it on the cord and damage it, creating a fire hazard. The LCDI detects current leaking out of the hot wires by monitoring for current flow to a fine wire mesh around the wires inside the cord. He said that I can use a standard 3 prong replacement plug without a problem as long as I don’t damage the cord, which I am always careful to not do. So I cut the damaged plug off and installed a standard heavy duty 3 prong replacement plug, and the unit works fine. Thank you for your help.
    Good to hear you have it sorted.
    Re that cable, they are new to me and I'm not familiar with them but I understand the concept and it does sound like a good way of protecting the cable.

Anyway good to hear you are sorted.

Rob