Hybrid View

Re: Qualifications and Skillcard

Thanks Rob,
    Conversations today have revealed that my card will remain because of the grandfather rights, others not so. Our customers over the years have been very relaxed about the whole CSCS thing so we never bothered to keep up with it, however things appear to be changing quite quickly and we need to do something about it. I understand the reasons and applaud any policy that will improve the quality of engineering within our sector, but a piece of paper proves you can listen to a lecturer and remember what they have said, it doesn't make you a good engineer or fitter. We wont be going back to college, nor will we be training anywhere again, I simply couldn't spend 2 years at a college with 16 year old children 1 day a week and 1 evening, it would ruin the business anyway. So we will be carefully selecting our customers ignoring all the ones that want paperwork over skills, if we can last another 10 years we will have succeeded and hopefully helped a few more people and businesses along the way.
    Refrigerated Trailer Rental

Re: Qualifications and Skillcard

Quote Originally Posted by CCLPaul View Post
    Thanks Rob,
    Conversations today have revealed that my card will remain because of the grandfather rights, others not so. Our customers over the years have been very relaxed about the whole CSCS thing so we never bothered to keep up with it, however things appear to be changing quite quickly and we need to do something about it. I understand the reasons and applaud any policy that will improve the quality of engineering within our sector, but a piece of paper proves you can listen to a lecturer and remember what they have said, it doesn't make you a good engineer or fitter. We wont be going back to college, nor will we be training anywhere again, I simply couldn't spend 2 years at a college with 16 year old children 1 day a week and 1 evening, it would ruin the business anyway. So we will be carefully selecting our customers ignoring all the ones that want paperwork over skills, if we can last another 10 years we will have succeeded and hopefully helped a few more people and businesses along the way.
    I think you're correct and it's good that your experience has been recognised by the skill card

From experience it's the biggest construction sites that seem to be the keenest when enforcement of the passport to work scheme and yet they seem to be the worst working environment to work in

Any way it's good to hear your good for a few more years eh

Rob

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..