Threaded View

Exclamation Melting cables in my Frigadon chiller 😮

Hi everyone, I've been working on this chiller and during routine maintenance I noticed the cables supplying the overloads that protect the compressors were melting. The bock compressors aren't particularly heavy duty and although I have to admit I can remember the exact run amps I do know it was well within what the 10mm cable can handle, I actually believe that the issue is with the pinch connections used off of the bus bar (it's the exact thing that you use your screwdriver in and lever open while pushing/pulling the cable in or out) but this is scaled up, I don't know if there is a minimum contact surface area for the ampage being pulled, maybe someone has a formula or table? The manufacture wants to increase the cable size but I can see 2 problems with this, first this would not increase the surface contact area by much if any and secondly I don't think the cable size is the issue otherwise I suspect I would see cable damage across the whole cable from the bus bar to the compressor terminals which if course I don't. Anyone had this issue? If so what was the out come. I have 2 compressors isolated out of 5.
    Last edited by Dr Frost Bite; 07-10-2018 at 02:10 AM.